Jujutsu (Japanese: 柔術, jūjutsu) is a Japanese martial art and a method of close combat for defeating an armed and armored opponent in which one uses no weapon or only a short weapon. The word jujutsu is often spelled as jujitsu, ju-jitsu, jiu-jutsu or jiu-jitsu.
"Jū 柔" can be translated to mean "gentle, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding."
"Jutsu 術" can be translated to mean "art" or "technique" and represents manipulating the opponent's force against himself rather than confronting it with one's own force.
Jujutsu developed among the samurai of feudal Japan as a method for defeating an armed and armored opponent in which one uses no weapon, or only a short weapon. Because striking against an armored opponent proved ineffective, practitioners learned that the most efficient methods for neutralizing an enemy took the form of pins, joint locks, and throws. These techniques were developed around the principle of using an attacker's energy against him, rather than directly opposing it.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Jujutsu. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.|
All items (39)
- Barbara Gordon (Arkhamverse)
- Barbara Gordon (New Earth)
- Benjamin Turner (New Earth)
- Bruce N. Wayne (Earth-One)
- Bruce Wayne (Arkhamverse)
- Bruce Wayne (Batman vs. TMNT)
- Bruce Wayne (DCAU)
- Bruce Wayne (Earth-149)
- Bruce Wayne (Earth-One)
- Bruce Wayne (Earth-Two)
- Bruce Wayne (Nolanverse)
- Bruce Wayne (Year One Movie)
- Katherine Kane (Arrowverse)
- Katherine Kane (DC Animated Movie Universe)
- Katherine Kane (New Earth)
- Katherine Kane (Prime Earth)
- Khalil Payne (Black Lightning TV Series)