- You two enjoy your little mystery, I'll never figure it out. Yeesh. No one remembers I used to be a detective.
Appearing in "The Replacements Part One"
- Gotham City Police Department
- Helena Kyle (First appearance)
- Slam Bradley
- Angle Man
Synopsis for "The Replacements Part One"
Meanwhile in the East End the new Catwoman, Holly Robinson, breaks into a warehouse while chasing after a trio of hoodlums who stole seventy-three high-end video cameras. She only sees two of the men, and she realizes why when the third sneaks up on her and punches her. She falls, stunned, to the ground. The trio aren't sure that this is the real Catwoman, but she is wearing the costume... and this must be worth something, right? They go to get a camera to film her, and Catwoman takes her chance to kick one of them in the crotch. She runs, and the hoodlums chase after her.
A flowerpot falls on one of them from above, knocking him out. Unfortunately, that was Catwoman's only flowerpot. She jumps down, tackling a second man. She grabs the third to interrogate him. He tells her they weren't going to fence the cameras. She has no idea what "Edison" has planned for the cameras... what he has planned for them all. The police arrive, so Catwoman takes off.
Catwoman has no idea she is being observed by Angle Man, who notices that she seems sloppier than usual.
Selina and Helena are discharged from the hospital. She is waiting for a taxi when Slam Bradley drives up and offers her a ride. They discuss her new alias as Slam drives her to her new apartment building uptown, the Gotham Arms, where Holly is waiting for them out front. She coos over Helena. Slam sees Holly's bruised face, and though Selina and Holly try to hide her new career from Slam, the detective knows something is up.
Carl Worth complains that Jim Lenahan already has enough work on his plate without his obsession with finding out who killed Black Mask. He should just be grateful that the bastard is finally dead. Lenahan says he's missing the point. He already knows that Catwoman killed Black Mask. He just can't find her. Unfortunately for Holly, he picks up the trail again after interrogating one of the toughs she busted.
Batman comes by Irena Dubrovna's apartment with gifts for Helena, a teddy bear and a full scholarship to the college of her choosing. Bruce and Selina acknowledge that they have a lot to talk about, but not tonight. Instead Bruce expresses his concern about the new Catwoman... Is she sure that Holly is right for the job? Selina is.
Her confidence might be misplaced. Catwoman goes to investigate the warehouse again, and she falls into a trap laid by Angle Man, picking up one of his triangles and setting off an explosion. She is knocked to the ground with Angle Man's foot on her neck.
- No special notes.
- There are three references to filmmaking mentioned in connection with the mysterious Edison:
- "The Black Mariah" is a reference to Black Maria, the movie production studio of Thomas Alva Edison.
- "The Patchwork Girl of Oz" was a movie directed by L. Frank Baum in 1914 after his book of the same name.
- "Electrocuting an Elephant" was a film released by Edison in 1903, which captured on film the death by electrocution of Topsy, an elephant deemed dangerous after she had killed three men.
- Helena Kyle is twenty inches long, seven pounds and eight ounces when she's born.
- As Slam Bradley mentions, Irena Dubrovna is the female lead from the 1942 Jaques Tourneur film Cat People.
- Discuss Catwoman Vol 3 53 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Catwoman series
- Images from Catwoman Vol 3 53
- Catwoman Recommended Reading