- Yes, Inspector Daniels, I am aware of this grave danger. This humble person will gladly offer his meager efforts.
- -- Mr. Chang src
In the 1930s, Inspector Daniels, the Chief of Detectives, was fortunate to have a good friend in Mr. Chang, an independently wealthy master sleuth, whose hobby was the science of criminology. He took down down the most powerful narcotics ring in the country, and at least two other dangerous criminals, one of them a mad scientist, Dr. Gratz, with a formula for turning ordinary people into giant slaves.
Chang himself carried a concealed pistol, dagger, hatchet, and secret stunning ray. He has killed at least one gunman. Chang employed an assistant named Wu, and Wu packed a concealed handgun, and also has killed at least one murderer with it.
- pistol, dagger, hatchet
- secret stunning ray
- Mr. Chang appeared in Detective Comics #2, Detective Comics #4, and Detective Comics #6.
- Mr. Chang dressed like a traditional Chinese aristocrat, seldom if ever appearing in western clothing. His manservant Wu also wore distinctly Chinese clothing, most or all of the time.
- This version of Mr. Chang, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- In his very short career, Mr. Chang apparently received no bullet wounds, and no blunt-instrument head trauma. He used his "secret stunning ray" exactly one time.
- Mr. Chang has the distinction of having taken down DC Comics's first growth-serum-monster-creating mad scientist, Dr. Hugo Von Gratz, in Detective Comics #6. The late Von Gratz's modus operandi would later be adopted by Professor Hugo Strange.
- 3 Appearances of Chang I (Earth-Two)
- Images featuring Chang I (Earth-Two)
- 2 Quotations by or about Chang I (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Chang I (Earth-Two)