Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Kite-Man. Hell yeah.
- — Kite-Man src
Charles Brown is a criminal also known as Kite-Man, because of the large glider kite he uses in his crimes.
Charles Brown's path to becoming Kite-Man started when Riddler and Joker went to war over the right to kill Batman. One night, Batman himself tracked Brown down and convinced him to reach out to the Joker, hoping Brown's past connection as the designer of the Jokermobile would give him a way in.
After agreeing to help Batman and join Joker's side as a mole, Riddler discovered the plan and poisoned the rope on Brown's son's favorite kite, killing the boy. Distraught and wanting vengeance against both Batman and the Riddler, Brown fashioned himself a costume and officially joined Joker's side as "Kite-Man".
As the War of Jokes and Riddles raged on, Batman joined the side of the Riddler in exchange for the latter to not kill his enemies. Kite-Man, still considered a joke by the villain community, was specifically targeted by Batman and Riddler to be the last Joker-soldier left in the war, knowing he'd be weak-willed enough to finally hand over Joker's hidden location. He ended up allying with Batman, tricking the Riddler's forces into wearing special kites that flew them up to the Bat-Blimp.
In present-day Charles is presumably no more than a petty criminal, either stealing jewelry or selling his specially made kites for the use of other criminals. He was one of the first villains Gotham Girl caught on her own after the death of her brother.
Powers and Abilities
- Unique Physiology: While in prison, Charles' genetic make up was altered by a Project Cadmus doctor, giving him the powers of the Titans. (Formerly)
- Mechanical Aptitude: He helped design the original Jokermobile using his knowledge of aerodynamics. He also designed "jet-propelled inverse parachutes" that, instead of slowing descent, sped up the ascent.
- Kite-Man was created by Bill Finger and Dick Sprang, first appearing in Batman #133. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Kite-Man first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batman (Volume 3) #6 by Tom King and Ivan Reis.
- 26 Appearances of Charles Brown (Prime Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Charles Brown (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Charles Brown (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Charles Brown (Prime Earth)
|GCPD Officer |
This character is or was an officer of, or held a title in the Gotham City Police Department, in any of its various incarnations. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "GCPD members" and "Police Officers" categories.