Chester Williams was an aging hippie and a close friend of the Swamp Thing and his wife, Abigail Holland. Chester's connection to the Swamp Thing began when he discovered that tubers from the Swamp Thing's body could provide hallucinogenic effects if consumed. He accompanied the Swamp Thing to Gotham City where the Swamp Thing supposedly "died". He was one of a small group of people who attended the Swamp Thing's funeral. Soon after, Chester met Liz Tremayne and the two fell in love. They moved in with one another and lived in Chester's house in Houma, Louisiana. Their relationship was rocky however, and Chester often sought the Swamp Thing's advice on dealing with women.
Chester proved to be a loyal friend to the Hollands and stood by Abby's side while she was having difficulty with her pregnancy. He also offered her encouragement and support when the Swamp Thing was lost in the timestream and believed to be dead.
After a time, the Swamp Thing and Abby began to reside at Chester's home.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- The visual look for Chester Williams is based on Larry Loc, Steve Bissette's college roommate.
- Chester Williams has a "Bush/Noriega '88" bumper sticker on the side of his camping tent.
- 50 Appearances of Chester Williams (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Chester Williams (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Chester Williams (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Chester Williams (New Earth)
Swamp Thing Character
Swamp Thing and is predominantly seen in the Swamp Thing family of titles. This character may be part of the Swamp Thing's supporting cast, a minor acquaintance, or one of his adversaries. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Swamp Thing Characters category.
This character exists under the Vertigo Imprint which is intended for Mature Readers. Vertigo titles although they may cross over into regular DC continuity.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Vertigo Characters."