Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
The son of Superman, Chris made a promise to his father prior to his death at the hands of Lex Luthor to protect the Earth, and not interfere with the Superman Robots left behind to protect the world. In the absence of any real crime or misfortune in the wake of the global security brought about by the robots, Chris spent most of his time hanging out with his best friend Damian Wayne, aka Batman (whose relationship with Alexis Luthor - the daughter of his fathers' killer - he resents), soaking up the adulation offered him as Earth's most prominent remaining superhero, and dreaming of adventure. In the wake of his colleague Megamorpho's suicide, Chris was torn between sorrow and excitement at having something at last to do in investigating her death; Damian, with Chris's help, would uncover the role of the mysterious Ultra Comics in her passing and its potential threat to the world. However, before they could act on this knowledge, Alexis Luthor commandeered the Superman Robots and launched an attack on the heroes, in response to Chris having had her barred from an exclusive party.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Chris possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Chris's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Chris can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Chris's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Chris's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Chris can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Chriss can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Chris can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Chris is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Chris is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Chris is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Chris's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Chris is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Chris is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- While having the same name as the New Earth son of Zod, Christopher Kent bears no physical resemblance to him, rather appearing near-identical to the original Superman; it seems likely that he is indeed Kal-El's biological son.
- 6 Appearances of Christopher Kent (Earth 16)
- 3 Images featuring Christopher Kent (Earth 16)
- 1 Quotations by or about Christopher Kent (Earth 16)
- Character Gallery: Christopher Kent (Earth 16)
Superman Family member