Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- With men I know what to expect. An initial spurt of bravura teamed in the end with cowardice. Even the best of men are driven by--at most--two or three desires. Easily manipulated. Like putty, but with too much hair. But women... women are as baffling and as dangerous to each other as we are to man. You can make no predictions on what we will do next, who we might crush... Who we might love.
- -- Circe src
Circe the Weaver is a powerful immortal witch and long-time enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons of Paradise Island. Among her numerous magical powers, the best known since mythological times is to transform people into animal hybrids, her Ani-Men.
It is said in legend that Circe is the most beautiful woman who has ever lived. She, powered by immeasurable magic, influenced the world of men from afar. She was mighty, indeed, but somewhere along the way, Circe lost her very soul (long ago, she traded her soul to a dimension of Hell). And no matter how many spells she cast thereafter, how hard she searched, she could not regain it.
She achieved the pinnacle this world could offer in the 2nd Century BCE, over two thousand years ago. The planet's colors would fade gradually ever after. She was empty, no matter what new beauty was offered. And she swore to regain that which she had lost. She used her magic to open portal after portal, searching. For decades... centuries, even. She knew that somewhere out there, a portal existed that would offer her soul back to her. She just had to find it. No matter how she has tried over millenia, she has never been able to break through the barrier to regain it. And the Pandora Pits are that barriear, and she was willing to sacrifice the world to breach it. She wanted what she could not have via corporeal means. But magic can break any barrier eventually, if the sacrifice is large enough.
- Magic: Circe is a ancient and powerful sorceress who has made Gods kneel before her with her magical might.
- Chronokinesis: Circe can freeze temporal reality for a bit and pull her and others out of the moment.
- Magic Blasts: Circe can fire destructive magical energy blasts.
- Magic Shields
- Geokinesis: Circe was able to form a rock imprisonment around Wonder Woman.
- Immortality: Circe has lived for millenia without aging past her prime years.
- Shape-Shifting: Circe was able to take the form of an elderly woman, as well as changing her skin tone and hairs style. When performing her "villain" act she changes her hair color to bright red and her skin color to pale white. She can also use the appearance of a young woman with short red hair and purple eyes.
- Projective Animal Metamorphosis: Circe is able to transform men into animals which she calls Ani-Men. These Ani-Men are subject to Circe's will.
- Portal Opening
- Transformation: Circe can grant life to inanimate beings, such as gargoyles and grotesques.
- Occultism: Circe is both ancient and powerful in many fields of magic, she is therefore extremely knowledgeable on the topic of the occult.
- This character is an adaptation of Circe, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- The mythological character Circe was first adapted by Robert Kanigher and Harry G. Peter in Wonder Woman #37. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity her first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick's New 52 Men of War series.
- 20 Appearances of Circe (Prime Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Circe (Prime Earth)
- 9 Quotations by or about Circe (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Circe (Prime Earth)
|Wonder Woman Villain(s)|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons in any of her various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Wonder Woman Villains category."