Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Clifford Cliff Steele was an adventurer and daredevil who had agreed to be injected with an experimental nanomachines that were designed to improve and repair his body over time. However he would find his body badly injured while racing his car in a fatal car crash during a high speed. Despite the damage caused by the car crash the nanomachines in his body responded by creating a robotic body in order to encase and protect his still living brain. Though he was initially distraught over his condition, the nanomachines prevented him from being able to kill himself. He eventually came to terms with his condition, he becomes a freelance hero, assisted by a woman named Maddy, who was involved in the nanomachine project and blames herself for Cliff's condition.
Cliff was eventually recruited by Niles Caulder to join his team the Doom Patrol which consisted of other heroes with extraordinary abilities. After being joined by their newest member Element Woman, after Niles convinced Elemental Women that she was abandoned by the Justice League, Cliff and the members assisted in try to recruit Jessica Cruz and ended up engaged the League in combat. However during the fight Lex Luthor revealed Cliff's "accident" along with the other members of Doom Patrol were caused by Niles.
Another version of Steele, more closely resembling a version of him from a previous iteration of reality, later accompanied the Doom Patrol on a number of missions before learning that he was apparently not the real Cliff.
- Cybernetic Enhancement: All of Robotman's powers originate from his cybernetic components. The outer body shell is formed by multiple layers of special flexible ceramic metal.
- Diving (Formerly): The nanomachines within in Robotman's allowed him to withstand pressure allowing him to dive to great depths.
- Clifford Steele was created by Arnold Drake, Bob Haney and Bruno Premiani, first appearing as part of the Doom Patrol in My Greatest Adventure Vol 1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the New 52 DC Universe is in Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis' Justice League (Volume 2) #27.
- 30 Appearances of Clifford Steele (Prime Earth)
- 17 Images featuring Clifford Steele (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Clifford Steele (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Clifford Steele (Prime Earth)
Doom Patrol member