Previously, Control and his wife Dina had operated as a team of O.S.S. agents in Nazi-occupied France. On an ill-fated mission, they were captured and Control was given the chance to spare Dina from a firing squad in exchange for giving up information on the O.S.S.'s French underground network. Very reluctantly, Control chose to remain loyal to the organization's mission and his wife was executed. He was soon rescued and subsequently given the job of "Control," as a man who could stand the strain of sending agents in dangerous missions that could lead to their deaths.
In 1951, Control was assigned by President Harry Truman to lead the domestic branch of Task Force X, Argent. When President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, Control tracked down and killed a U.S. government official who was responsible for Kennedy's death. Soon afterwards, Control ordered all records of Argent destroyed and have his organization going undercover, cutting its ties to America. For years, Argent continued its work until their efforts took its toll and Control eventually passed away. His granddaughter, Anna-Marie Vere, became his successor and maintained the illusion that Control was alive and still leading Argent. This deception was inevitably unveiled during Argent's confrontation with the Suicide Squad and spelling the end for Argent.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Control was rarely seen without his pipe.
- 46 Appearances of Control (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Control (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Control (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Control (New Earth)