"Monitor Duty": Forerunner prepares to kill Jason Todd, but Donna Troy swoops up between them and punches Forerunner across the National Mall. Forerunner smiles as she picks herself up - enticed at the thought of a true challenge.
Synopsis for "Monitor Duty"
Forerunner prepares to kill Jason Todd, but Donna Troy swoops up between them and punches Forerunner across the National Mall. Forerunner smiles as she picks herself up - enticed at the thought of a true challenge.
In Metropolis, Jimmy Olsen stands outside the apartment complex in Suicide Slum where the New God Sleez was mysteriously murdered. He records his thoughts into a mini-recorder and reflects upon his recent newly acquired super-powers. While Jimmy walks away lost in thought, a homeless man takes note of another pedestrian in Suicide Slum - Holly Robinson.
Back at the Lincoln Memorial, Donna and Forerunner continue their fight. Donna even picks up a machine gun left behind by a dead soldier in the hope of putting Forerunner down quickly. The alien assassin easily dodges the bullets and hurls her own weapons towards Donna. Donna just as easily deflects the attack with her bracelets. Forerunner succeeds in getting a few savage blows in, but suddenly a Monitor arrives and halts the fight. He zaps Forerunner in the back, and reveals that she is in service to his Monitor brethren. This Monitor, however, is not happy with Forerunner's progress and does not wish to see Donna or Jason killed. Instead, he tells each of them that he is in need of their help.
Meanwhile, on the Justice League satellite, Doctor Mid-Nite lets the Karate Kid out of his cell where he reunites with his teammates Dream Girl and Starman. Mid-Nite still does not understand why these futuristic heroes have appeared in the 21st century. Karate Kid tells him that Dream Girl predicted that one of the Legion members will die in this timeline.
In Washington, the Monitor teleports away, taking Jason and Donna with him. Forerunner rips away her braid, which functioned as a physical link between her people and the Monitors. From a short distance away, Monarch views Forerunner's plight.
Appearing in "Monitor Duty"
- Bob the Monitor
- Doctor Mid-Nite
- Holly Robinson
- Monarch (Cameo)
- Legion of Super-Heroes
- Athena (Behind the scenes)
- Superman (Flashback only)
- New Gods (Cameo) (Flashback only)
- Gotham City (Cameo) (Flashback only)
- Washington, D.C.
- Astro-Harness (Cameo) (Flashback only)
- Bracelets of Submission
- Mobius Chair (Cameo) (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "History of the Multiverse (Part V of XII)"
The Monitors review the events where the Justice League of America of Earth-One began to discover other alternate realities such as Earth-Prime, which had been previously devoid of super-humans. They also analyze the Justice League and Justice Society's first encounter with the heroes of Earth-S. They even view events that take place in the 30th century with the futuristic super-hero team, the Legion of Super-Heroes.
Each new encounter of a parallel reality only served to pave the way for a "Crisis of infinite proportion".
Appearing in "History of the Multiverse (Part V of XII)"
Supporting Characters: Flashback appearances for all characters
- Mister Miracle
- Superboy-Prime (Behind the scenes)
- Five Warriors From Forever
- Justice League of America
- Justice Society of America
- Atom (Al Pratt)
- Batman (Bruce Wayne)
- Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)
- Doctor Mid-Nite (Charles McNider)
- Flash (Jay Garrick)
- Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
- Hawkman (Carter Hall)
- Huntress (Helena Wayne)
- Mister Terrific (Terry Sloane)
- Power Girl
- Red Tornado (John Smith)
- Robin (Earth-Two)
- Sandman (Wesley Dodds)
- Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton)
- Superman (Kal-L)
- Wildcat (Ted Grant)
- Wonder Woman (Diana Prince)
- Legion of Super-Heroes
- Marvel Family
Antagonists: Flashback appearances for all characters
- Sand Monster
- Spirit King (Behind the scenes)
- Demons Three
Other Characters: Flashback appearances for all characters
Items: In flashback only
- This issue shipped on June 20th, 2007.
- "Monitor Duty" is reprinted in Countdown to Final Crisis Vol. 1.
- The appearance of the Legion of Super-Heroes in this issue takes place during the "Lightning Saga", but prior to the events chronicled in Justice Society of America (Volume 3) #6.
- Killer Croc appears in a flashback to his attack on Jimmy Olsen in Countdown #49.
- Unofficially, this issue is the first appearance of the Challengers from Beyond.
- The "History of the Multiverse" feature includes flashbacks to events that took place in the following issues:
- Sandman vs. the Sand Monster -- Justice League of America #113
- Flash meets Julius Schwartz -- The Flash #179
- Robin of Earth-Two fights Elliot S. Maggin -- Justice League of America #123
- Superman fights Captain Marvel on Earth-S -- Justice League of America #136–137
- The JLA and JSA team-up with the Legion to fight Mordru and the Demons Three - Justice League of America #147–148
- Versus Ultraa -- Justice League of America #153
- The Five Warriors From Forever -- Justice League of America #159
- Death of the Earth-Two Batman -- Adventure Comics #462
- Death of the original Mister Terrific -- Justice League of America #171–172
- JLA and JSA vs. Darkseid - Justice League of America #185
- JLA and JSA vs. the Ultra-Humanite -- Justice League of America #196–197
- JLA and JSA vs. the Commander -- Justice League of America #231
- Countdown Crossovers
- Final Crisis
- Donna Troy appearances list
- Forerunner appearances list
- Holly Robinson appearances list
- Jimmy Olsen appearances list
- Red Hood appearances list