"Halfway to Hell": Monitor Solomon leads the other Monitors in a grand convocation to discuss the various matters that threaten the Multiverse. Most pressing of these matters include the Monarch who has been weakening the integrity of the [[The Source|S
- We must act as Monitors despite our growing individuality before we are corrupted by an unstable Multiverse. We must act now! I propose we go to war!!
Synopsis for "Halfway to Hell"
Monitor Solomon leads the other Monitors in a grand convocation to discuss the various matters that threaten the Multiverse. Most pressing of these matters include the Monarch who has been weakening the integrity of the Source Wall with every excursion he makes across the Multiverse. There is also the inherent threat posed by their wayward Monitor brother "Bob" whose choice to chart the Multiverse with a coalition of time anomalies is causing more harm than good. In addition, the Monitors must keep a close eye over the actions of Jimmy Olsen whose spontaneous "fight or flight" powers bears a steady impact on the rapidly diminishing Fourth World. Mary Marvel's existence also poses a problem as her interaction with Eclipso is creating a rift through the very fabric of magic. To put a stop to this encroaching crisis, the Monitors all vote in unison to go to war.
On Earth-8, the Challengers from Beyond bicker amongst themselves. They are still angry at Jason Todd for his seeming betrayal, but it is soon revealed that his actions were a feint so that they could escape from Lord Havok and his Extremists.
Appearing in "Halfway to Hell"
- Challengers from Beyond
- Darkseid (Cameo)
- Eclipso (Jean Loring)
- Forerunner (Cameo)
- Crime Society (Earth-3)
- Extremists (Earth-8)
- Atom (Ryan Choi) (Flashback only)
- Buddy Blank (Cameo)
- Duela Dent (Flashback only)
- Elias Orr (Cameo)
- Lex Luthor (Earth-15)
- Monarch's Army
- Kamandi (Cameo)
- New Earth
- This issue shipped on October 31st, 2007.
- This issue is reprinted in Countdown to Final Crisis Vol. 2.
- Title officially changes to Countdown to Final Crisis with this issue.
- This is one of the few issues of the series that does not include an origins back-up feature.
- If you actually count the Monitors on the title page there are over 70 of them.
- Countdown: Arena
- Countdown: The Search for Ray Palmer
- Countdown to Adventure
- Countdown to Mystery
- Countdown Presents: Lord Havok and the Extremists