Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I have one memory I would love to forget. But won't forget. It's the reason... I... won't... give... UP!
- — Stargirl src
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Courtney was raised by her single mother, Barbara. Courtney did not like her mother's new boyfriend, Pat Dugan, and especially in the beginning, did not get along with him. Her superhero career began after her mother ordered her to clean up Pat's office (previously, her bedroom) and she found a case with some old possessions: a staff, a belt and a shirt with a star on it. She decided to try it on, and after spotting a fire during a test flight, decided to be a superhero. She quickly caught the perpetrator, and her hero debut became a viral sensation.
As she contemplated what to do next, she confided with her friend Tuan, who helped her shop for a better costume. However, the world knew about her, and so did Pat. He warned her against becoming a superhero, and revealed a few things about the equipment's previous wielder, who had died. After he told Barbara about it, they agreed that if Courtney wanted to be a hero, Pat would train her. The family supported her, until she answered a call made by Shadow Thief. The villain had taken hostages, and the only demand was seeing a superhero. Against the judgment of Pat and Barbara, she went into what was quite obviously a trap.
She managed to rout Shadow Thief, and was lauded for saving lives, but when she returned home, she found Shadow Thief had beaten her to it. The house was ransacked, Barbara and Ted were wounded, and her little stepbrother was killed. Though she didn't like him - as much as anyone would hate little brothers - but she still felt she had failed him, and used the trauma to become a better hero.
Justice League United
- Stargirl was created by Geoff Johns and Lee Moder, first appearing in Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #0. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Stargirl first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League of America (Volume 3) #1 by Geoff Johns and David Finch.
- Courtney Whitmore (Prime Earth) appears as Stargirl (Prime) a playable character in the Infinite Crisis video game.
- 54 Appearances of Courtney Whitmore (Prime Earth)
- 34 Images featuring Courtney Whitmore (Prime Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Courtney Whitmore (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Courtney Whitmore (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Justice Society of America member