Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Cronus was the son of Uranus, the Greek god of the sky, and Gaia, the mother earth, and he is one of the Titans of Myth. He later overthrew his father by castrating him with a harpe blade, to become the king of the Greek pantheon. Cronus later took Rhea as wife and fathered many children with her. Fearing to be dethroned however , he fed on them, but Zeus, the only one not yet captured or devoured, freed his brothers and sisters, and together, with the help of Rhea, the Gods of Olympus defeated the mighty Titan and imprisoned him in the pits of Tartarus.
- Power Absorption: Cronus used a device that sucked the life and power of his children in order to absorb them.
- Diamond Blade: The harpe sword made of a flint of adamantine that was the weapon used by Cronus to castrate and depose his father, Uranus. Zeus once famously bequeathed his own son Perseus such a sword, and then passed it on to his granddaughter, Cassie Sandsmark, the Wonder Girl.
- This character is an adaptation of Cronus, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Cronus was first adapted by Gerry Conway and Jose Delbo, first appearing in Wonder Woman #261. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Cronus first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Wonder Woman (Volume 4) #9 by Brian Azzarello and Tony Akins.
- 6 Appearances of Cronus (Prime Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Cronus (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Cronus (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Cronus (Prime Earth)
|Wonder Woman Villain(s)|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons in any of her various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Wonder Woman Villains category."