"Enlisted": In 1940 Gotham City, Kate Kane is the Batwoman, a player in an all-women’s baseball league where the player’s identities are kept secret to protect them from sexist backlash. Kate Kane plays baseball and fights crime in her Batwoman identity. At the ball game, the Batwoman and her te
- Papa saw the Great War, and the Revolution, too. Crowds become mobs, cities burn, and the good of one generation becomes the evil of the next.
Appearing in "Enlisted"
- Amanda Waller (First appearance)
- Amazons of Themyscira
- Bette Kane (First appearance)
- Kortni Duginovna (First appearance)
- Maggie Sawyer (First appearance)
- Steve Trevor (First appearance)
- King Beneath the Black (First appearance) (His eye only)
- Gotham Knights
- Gotham City Police Department
- United States Air Force
- Jefferds (Dies)
- Bruce Wayne (First appearance)
- Martha Wayne (First appearance)
- Thomas Wayne (First appearance)
- Renee Montoya (In a photograph only) (First appearance)
- General Arkayn (In a photograph only) (First appearance)
- Vladimir Lenin (In a photograph only)
- Baba Yaga (Mentioned only)
- The Firebird (Mentioned only)
- Vodyanoy (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "Enlisted"
In 1940 Gotham City, Kate Kane is the Batwoman, a player in an all-women’s baseball league where the player’s identities are kept secret to protect them from sexist backlash. Kate Kane plays baseball and fights crime in her Batwoman identity. At the ball game, the Batwoman and her teammates stop an attempted robbery in the stands. Police detective (and romantic partner of Kate Kane) Maggie Sawyer arrives at the scene, but the Batwoman and her teammates have fled. Later, in their home in Burnside, Kane and Sawyer discuss the war, and Kane’s previous adventures in Spain.
While the couple are sleeping, a loud noise disturbs them, and they wake up to find Amanda Waller in a propeller plane on their roof. Waller offers them a chance to “end the war”.
Elsewhere, miles off the coast of Greece, pilot Steve Trevor and other airforce soldiers are being attacked, but the enemies are intercepted by the Amazons, including Diana, their princess. Steve Trevor washes up onshore at Themiscyra, where Diana and other Amazons rescue him. Trevor is upset with the Amazons for intervening in the battle, but Diana explains that war planes, bombs, and bullets have been falling to Themiscyra and maiming and killing its residents. Trevor faints, still delirious.
In Moscow, September 1940, seventeen-year-old Kortni Duginovna and her sister Kara Starikov rise with the Night Witches, an all-female airforce. Their conversation reveals that the pair came to Moscow from their small village to serve in the war effort, though Kara has her doubts about this plan. A male soldier sexually harasses Kortni, and Kara displays super-strength, shoving him away.
The sisters arrive at Flavitsky Airfield. The sisters take off, along with other Night Witches, in propeller planes, but one of Kortni’s engines explodes. Kara leaps out of her own plane and flies to save Kortni, exposing her superhuman powers. The two land safely, but their commander immediately orders the other Night Witches to “arrest these traitors!”
- This book was first published on August 12, 2015.
- This issue was shipped in the August 2015 box of the subscription-based service Comic Block, in addition to being available in comic book stores.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss DC Comics Bombshells Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the DC Comics Bombshells series
- Images from DC Comics Bombshells Vol 1 1