"Negative Woman Goes Berserk!": Superman prevents a New Jersey power plant from overloading and causing a statewide blackout. After rescuing the plant workers, he notices the cause of the overload, a black energy shape in the form of a woman. The shape flies off before
Appearing in "Negative Woman Goes Berserk!"
- Ambush Bug (First appearance)
- Arthur J. Harris (Single appearance)
- District Attorney Syms (Only appearance; dies)
- Fortress of Solitude (Behind the scenes)
- New Jersey
- Ambush Bug's robotic insects
Synopsis for "Negative Woman Goes Berserk!"
Superman prevents a New Jersey power plant from overloading and causing a statewide blackout. After rescuing the plant workers, he notices the cause of the overload, a black energy shape in the form of a woman. The shape flies off before Superman can catch it.
Later that afternoon, Metropolis celebrates its 309th anniversary with a parade procession leading down 30th street. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are on the scene covering the event. Suddenly, a strange villain calling himself Ambush Bug appears and seemingly murders one of the parade guests, District Attorney Syms. Before anyone can react, the criminal teleports away.
Adding to the chaos, the black energy being also appears in Metropolis and begins wreaking havoc. Clark changes into Superman and begins chasing the entity all throughout the city. While doing so, he encounters the new Doom Patrol who explains to him that the energy being is actually their ally, Valentina Vostok. Robotman tells him that Vostok has absorbed the Negative being that was once a part of his late colleague Larry Trainor. Unfortunately, fusing with the entity has driven Negative Woman berserk.
Superman and the Doom Patrol attempt to contain Negative Woman while also trying to capture the elusive Ambush Bug. Superman discovers that the Bug's teleportation capabilities are linked to a group of tiny, robotic insects that are always flying about him. Superman quickly gathers up all of the micro-insects and destroys them. With Ambush Bug unable to teleport, he becomes an easy target for Robotman's haymaker.
Now the only thing left to take care of is the frenzied Negative Woman. Superman dashes off to the Fortress of Solitude to fetch a giant lead container. Upon returning, he traps the Negative Woman inside until she returns to normal. Valentina Vostok's condition stabilizes, but she laments the fact that she must wear specially treated bandages or else risk losing control of herself once again.
- This is the first appearance of Ambush Bug. He appears next in DC Comics Presents #59.
- Superman appeared last in Superman #377. He appears next in Superman #378.
- The Doom Patrol appeared last in Superman Family #193. They appear next in Supergirl (Volume 2) #7.
- This issue establishes that the city of Metropolis is 309-years-old and the Daily Planet is 150-years old.
- Some of the famous personages represented as parade floats include Skywise from Elfquest fame, Cerebus the Aardvark and Judge Dredd.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss DC Comics Presents Vol 1 52 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the DC Comics Presents series
- Images from DC Comics Presents Vol 1 52
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Doom Patrol Recommended Reading
- Ambush Bug Recommended Reading
- Early appearances:
- Ambush Bug (Volume 1)
- Son of Ambush Bug (Volume 1)
- Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer #1
- Ambush Bug Nothing Special #1
- Lobo Unbound (Volume 1)
- Ambush Bug: Year None (Volume 1)
- Doom Patrol (Volume 5)
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Superman at Supermanica
- Doom Patrol at Wikipedia.org
- Doom Patrol at TV Tropes
- Ambush Bug at Wikipedia.org
- DC Comics Presents series index at Comicbookdb.com
- DC Comics Presents series index at the Grand Comics Database