"Superman and the Phantom Zone Criminals: "The Final Chapter"": As the day of Krypton's end drew ever closer, Jor-El experimented with ways to evade certain doom. His schemes lead him into the Phantom Zone, which was a cold, horrifying place fit only for punishment
Synopsis for Superman and the Phantom Zone Criminals: "The Final Chapter"
As the day of Krypton's end drew ever closer, Jor-El experimented with ways to evade certain doom. His schemes lead him into the Phantom Zone, which was a cold, horrifying place fit only for punishment of criminals. The executioner Cha-Kor recalls the criminals that he's sent there.
Aethyr resented Jor-El's sudden intrusion in the Phantom Zone, and it made Aethyr recall the horror of being a billion-billion souls in a previous universe. Aethyr had headed into the Phantom Zone for peace—a peace that would be shattered by the Kryptonian rabble that Jor-El soon imprisoned within. It took the implosion of Htrae to finally free Aethyr as well as the numerous Phantom Zoners who went on a rampage.
Wizard of Juru, Thul-Kar, was also released from the Phantom Zone, and he merged Aethyr with Mr Mxyzptlk to facilitate Aethyr's full escape. Mxyzptlk attacked Earth, and dropped Argo City (now a Kryptonite wasteland) on Metropolis. Escaped Phantom Zoners; led by General Zod, Faora and Jax-Ur; proved too much for Superman, who had only just recovered from Kryptonite poisoning. Before they could finally kill the Man of Steel, Aethyr drew the souls of the Phantom Zoners into his Crystal Heart, and Mxyzptlk lead them to the fifth dimension to torment the 'Slxdrds' that had earlier imprisoned him.
Appearing in Superman and the Phantom Zone Criminals: "The Final Chapter"
- Mister Mxyzptlk
- Phantom Zone Criminals (Final appearance)
- Aethyr (Final appearance)
- Corporal Cha-Kor
- Fifth Dimensional Beings
- Phantom Zone Criminals
- Wizards of Juru
- Argo City (Destroyed)
- Earth (Final appearance)
- Fifth Dimension
- Null Sphere
- Htrae (Destroyed)
- Krypton (Destroyed)
- Krypton-Two (Mentioned only)
- Phantom Zone (Final appearance)
- Aethyr's Crystal Heart
- Green Kryptonite
- Kryptonian Weaponry Cache
- Phantom Zone Projector
- Scarlet Jungle Fever
- Kryptonian Rocket
- Prison Capsule
- The Big Bang
- Final issue of the series.
- This issue is reprinted in Superman: Phantom Zone.
- This issue retells the the development of the Phantom Zone Projector from Superboy #104.
- Unlike the previous seven issues (since #90) which happened in the short period when the Earth-One Superman (and all his supporting cast) existed on the post-Crisis New Earth (a period that ended when the Crisis "caught up" with Superman in The Man of Steel #1), this story is a flashback set before the Crisis on Infinite Earths, when Earth-One still existed.
- Therefore, this is the final canonical appearance of Earth-One and all of its corresponding occupants (except for the few, like Superman, who continued to exist on New Earth for a short period).
- "Foggraw!" is a fifth-dimensional curse.
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman: World's Finest (Volume 1)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: Son of Kal-El (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)