"Superman and the Phantom Zone Criminals: "The Final Chapter"": As the day of Krypton's end drew ever closer, Jor-El experimented with ways to evade certain doom. His schemes lead him into the Phantom Zone, which was a cold, horrifying place fit only for punishment
Appearing in Superman and the Phantom Zone Criminals: "The Final Chapter"
- Superman (Final appearance)
- Mister Mxyzptlk (Final appearance)
- Phantom Zone Criminals (Final appearance)
- Bizarros (Final appearance)
- Corporal Cha-Kor
- Fifth Dimensional Beings
- Phantom Zone Criminals
- Wizards of Juru
- Argo City (Destroyed)
- Earth (Final appearance)
- Fifth Dimension
- Null Sphere
- Htrae (Destroyed)
- Krypton (Destroyed)
- Krypton-Two (Mentioned only)
- Phantom Zone (Final appearance)
- Aethyr's Crystal Heart
- Green Kryptonite
- Kryptonian Weaponry Cache
- Phantom Zone Projector
- Scarlet Jungle Fever
- Kryptonian Rocket
- Prison Capsule
- The Big Bang
Synopsis for Superman and the Phantom Zone Criminals: "The Final Chapter"
As the day of Krypton's end drew ever closer, Jor-El experimented with ways to evade certain doom. His schemes lead him into the Phantom Zone, which was a cold, horrifying place fit only for punishment of criminals. The executioner Cha-Kor recalls the criminals that he's sent there.
Aethyr resented Jor-El's sudden intrusion in the Phantom Zone, and it made Aethyr recall the horror of being a billion-billion souls in a previous universe. Aethyr had headed into the Phantom Zone for peace - a peace that would be shattered by the Kryptonian rabble that Jor-El soon imprisoned within. It took the implosion of Htrae to finally free Aethyr as well as the numerous Phantom Zoners who went on a rampage.
Wizard of Juru, Thul-Kar, was also released from the Phantom Zone, and he merged Aethyr with Mr Mxyzptlk to facilitate Aethyr's full escape. Mxyzptlk attacked Earth, and dropped Argo City (now a Kryptonite wasteland) on Metropolis. Escaped Phantom Zoners; lead by General Zod, Faora and Jax-Ur; proved too much for Superman, who had only just recovered from Kryptonite poisoning. Before they could finally kill the Man of Steel, Aethyr drew the souls of the Phantom Zoners into his Crystal Heart, and Mxyzptlk lead them to the fifth dimension to torment the 'Slxdrds' that had earlier imprisoned him.
- Final issue of the series.
- This issue is reprinted in Superman: Phantom Zone.
- This issue retells the the development of the Phantom Zone Projector from Superboy #104.
- Unlike the previous seven issues (since #90) which happened in the short period when the Earth-One Superman (and all his supporting cast) existed on the post-Crisis New Earth (a period that ended when the Crisis "caught up" with Superman in The Man of Steel #1), this story is set before the Crisis on Infinite Earths, when Earth-One still existed.
- Therefore, this is the final canonical appearance of Earth-One and all of its corresponding occupants.
- "Foggraw!" Is a fifth-dimensional curse.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss DC Comics Presents Vol 1 97 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the DC Comics Presents series
- Images from DC Comics Presents Vol 1 97
Links and References
- DC Comics Presents series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Superman article at Wikipedia
- Superman article at Supermanica
- Superman article at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics
- Superman article at Don Markstein's Toonopedia
- Superman article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe