"Blood + Sand": After the Green Lantern-turned-vampire Hal Jordan kills the powerful necromancer Anton Arcane, he hears a voice - the voice of his master. The master tells Hal there is a problem: [[Andrew Bennett (DC vs.
Read beyond this point at your own risk!
Synopsis for "Blood + Sand"
After the Green Lantern-turned-vampire Hal Jordan kills the powerful necromancer Anton Arcane, he hears a voice - the voice of his master. The master tells Hal there is a problem: Andrew Bennett. Though Hal has already killed him, Andrew was on the run for a week, and Hal's master believes it should be assumed that he told others of the vampires' plans for genocide. The last things the vampires need is for the wrong person to discover their plans.
At Wayne Manor, Nightwing arrives and finds Batgirl bathing in the sunlight. Batman calls them into the sunroom, where the rest of the Batman Family - Alfred Pennyworth, Red Hood, Red Robin, Robin, and Orphan - are already waiting. Batman informs the Family that last week, he was visited by Andrew Bennett, who warned that the vampires plan to wage war against the human race. Andrew has since gone missing, and Batman's detective work indicates he was being followed before his trail went cold.
Just outside Star City, Brick, Cheshire, Everyman, and Cupid sit at a picnic table, where they discuss how so many villains have gone missing in the past few weeks. Brick is concerned that something else - not the heroes - is hunting them, which the others dismiss. The group is suddenly interrupted by Green Arrow, who says that one of them is a vampire. He asks Everyman if he is right. The others laugh, but Everyman suddenly reveals his vampiric nature and lunges at Green Arrow, who kills him. Before he leaves, Green Arrow tells Brick, Cheshire, and Cupid to start protecting themselves.
Back at Wayne Manor, the Family is bewildered by Batman's claims. Batgirl feels like he is joking; Batman assures her that he is not by telling the Family of the Mad Monk, a bloodthirsty vampire who was one of his earliest foes. Batman also mentions the Mad Monk's female counterpart Dala, who Nightwing will remember since he encountered her during his time as Robin. Batman is unsure if the Mad Monk is the vampire who overthrew Mary, Queen of Blood, but does note that his insatiable hunger did pose a genuine threat to the human race.
Batman says that the best the Family can do now is deduce who the vampires will go after next. The vampires will hunt the metahumans and target villains first. Batgirl notes they'll also target psychics and telepaths, who could figure out their plans, while Nightwing and Red Robin point out they'll go after magicians and sunlight users as well. Robin notes that vampires would likely convert younger heroes first, which means that the Birds of Prey, Outsiders, and Teen Titans may already be compromised. The Justice League would be more difficult to infiltrate, since the vampires would target younger heroes first.
At the Hall of Justice, the Wonder Twin Jayna runs in crying. Zan has been missing for days, and Jayna can no longer feel him. Hal offers to help her find him, but she runs off in tears after Booster Gold suggests that Zan was tired of being "felt" by his sister. The League admonishes Booster Gold for making such an insensitive comment.
Back at Wayne Manor, Batman reveals he has mixed everyone's drinks with holy water and had them meet in the sunroom to ensure that none of the Family has been converted. Since no one has burned up, Batman finally allows them to come down to the Batcave, where he makes everyone hold a crucifix as a final test. Everyone passes, so Batman reveals their new vampire-hunting equipment. Nightwing is surprised by the sudden change in methods, but Batman points out that since the vampires are undead, the Family will not be foregoing their no-kill rule.
Afterwards, Alfred brings Batman some dinner. Alfred drinks the holy water-laced tea to show Batman that he remains human; while Batman acknowledges that not having him drink it at the same time as everyone was an oversight, he already had the boiler blessed. Alfred asks why Batman did not tell the rest of the Family about the vial of Lex Luthor's blood Andrew gave him. Batman says that doing so now would have been too much of a gamble, considering that the entire human race is at stake.
At night, Hal meets with Barry Allen at a beach. The two sit down, and Hal confides to Barry that something bad is about to happen. Barry ensures Hal that he trusts him, and that if something bad happens, he will always be on his side. Hal then says that something good happened to him and proceeds to restrain Barry. Hal reveals that he wanted to convert Barry, but his vampire master believes that his powers would have made him unsuitable as a vampire. Hal brutally murders Barry by snapping his neck and burning his body. As Hal looks away, a bloody tear falls from his eye. He mourns Barry, having wanted to conquer the world by his side.
Appearing in "Blood + Sand"
- Batman Family
- Alfred Pennyworth
- Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) (First appearance)
- Batgirl/Orphan (Cassandra Cain) (First appearance)
- Nightwing (First appearance)
- Red Hood (First appearance)
- Red Robin (Tim Drake) (First appearance)
- Robin (Damian Wayne) (First appearance)
- Justice League
- Aquaman (Cameo)
- Booster Gold (First appearance)
- The Flash (Barry Allen) (Only appearance; dies)
- Green Arrow
- Green Lantern (John Stewart) (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Hawkgirl (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Hawkman (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Jayna (First appearance)
- Martian Manhunter (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Plastic Man (First appearance)
- Superman (First appearance)
- Wonder Woman (First appearance)
- Everyman (Only appearance; dies)
- Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
- Unknown leader (Behind the scenes)
- Anton Arcane (Only appearance; dies)
- Birds of Prey (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Black Canary (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Huntress (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Brick (First appearance)
- Cheshire (First appearance)
- Cupid (First appearance)
- Outsiders (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Black Lightning (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Katana (First appearance) (Cameo)
- The Signal (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Teen Titans (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Kid Flash (Wallace West) (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Raven (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Starfire (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Andrew Bennett (Deceased) (Mentioned only)
- Dala (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Light (Deceased) (Mentioned only)
- Lex Luthor (Deceased) (Mentioned only)
- Light (Mentioned only)
- Lime (Mentioned only)
- Mary, Queen of Blood (Deceased) (Mentioned only)
- Mad Monk (Niccolai Tepes) (Mentioned only)
- The Ray (Mentioned only)
- Zan (Mentioned only)
- United States of America