In the Metropolis of 2637, Dr. Gnorr was both a scientist and an engineer who had a longing to help his idol Superman. Gnorr's solution was to create a robot that was Superman's superior is almost every respect and send him back to the 20th Century to help Superman. Having a strange sense of humour, Dr Gnorr called the robot "Captain Incredible" and dressed him in boxers-over-tights, high-top Converse sneakers, and geeky glasses.
Soon Superman returned through the Time Barrier and found Dane Gnorr; who thought that the Man of Steel had come to thank him. Dane was shocked to hear that his creation had tried to kill Superman — and would have, if Superman hadn't escaped. Looking through his plans, Dr Gnorr realized that breaking the Time Barrier must have reversed Captain Incredible's programming, so that instead of helping Superman, he was trying to kill him. But a return trip through the time barrier should reset his program.
Superman returned with Captain Incredible in pursuit, who realized his error and asked to be disassembled. But with some reprogramming from Dr Gnorr, Captain Incredible became the Super Crime Fighter of 27th Century Metropolis.
27th Century Laboratory
- This version of Dane Gnorr, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Dane Gnorr (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Dane Gnorr (Earth-One)
- 2 Quotations by or about Dane Gnorr (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Dane Gnorr (Earth-One)