Daniel Dunbar operated as the partner of "mystery man" T.N.T. (Thomas N. Thomas) during World War II as Dan the Dyna-Mite, possessed with the same kind of power as his mentor. T.N.T. was killed in battle during that time, though, and Dyna-Mite had to continue on without him. After the war, Dunbar enrolled in Princeton University and found himself failing his courses for three semesters in a row, which eventually had him expelled. It was on the day that Dunbar got expelled that he was contacted by aspiring politician Tex Thompson for his campaign of promoting a better America, that he would be chosen for the experiment that would make him that nation's greatest superhero. Dunbar accepted the offer, though not realizing that it would cost him his life as his brain was removed from his body and replaced with Adolf Hitler's prior to the transformation that would turn him into Dynaman.
- This version of the character is native to the JSA: The Golden Age series of stories.
- In mainstream continuity, Daniel's partner T.N.T. was killed in 1942 by Gudra the Valkyrie who was a member of Axis Amerika.
- 4 Appearances of Daniel Dunbar (JSA: The Golden Age)
- 2 Images featuring Daniel Dunbar (JSA: The Golden Age)
- Quotations by or about Daniel Dunbar (JSA: The Golden Age)
- Character Gallery: Daniel Dunbar (JSA: The Golden Age)
Expression error: Unexpected > operator.