- We used to fight in the alleys. Guys these days fight in the clouds.
- — Dan Turpin src
Raised in the tough streets of Brooklyn in the 1930s, Dan Turpin became a member of a child detachment unit known as the Boy Commandos. During the years of World War II, he assumed the nickname of his hometown, Brooklyn.
Turpin proved to be a brash no-nonsense officer; an accolade which earned him the nickname "Terrible" Turpin. Dan proved his mettle against foes much more powerful than he, notably the Apokoliptian scourge, Kalibak.
At the beginning of the Final Crisis, Turpin was investigating the disappearance of numerous children. He received a tip into the mysterious "Dark Side Club". He encountered the head of the operation, a sickly old man who spoke of fighting a war in heaven. He showed Turpin the missing children, all of whom were under the influence of Anti-Life.
Turpin escaped the Dark Side club, but had no recollection of how. He began to notice something was wrong with him when he started beating up the Mad Hatter with near-superhuman force.
Turpin then started investigating a bunker in the now decimated Bludhaven. He was then kidnapped by some of Darkseid's henchmen, who declared that he had been chosen to be Darkseid's new host. Turpin would then find himself wrestling to maintain control of his body, which was gradually transforming. While this was happening, the Anti-Life Equation went viral, affecting half the Earth's populace. Eventually, Turpin's will gave out and Darkseid took over, gaining control of all those affected by the Anti-Life Equation.
Batman encountered the new Darkseid. He managed to shoot the New God with a radion bullet before being blasted back in time. Darkseid also sent a Hyper-Adapter (New Earth) after him.
When Superman encountered Darkseid, he was reluctant to do anything knowing he would only be killing a human host and not actually harming the New God in any meaningful way. At that moment, Barry Allen and Wally West rushed past Darkseid, bringing with them the Black Racer. The Black Racer claimed Darkseid, purifying Dan Turpin.
- Firearms: Turpin was also trained in the use of a variety of firearms and advanced weaponry.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): He was an able-bodied hand-to-hand combatant, though his proficiency in this skill lessened as he grew older. Even at an advanced age however, Turpin was ever-willing to resort to physical force to solve a problem.
- Tactical Analysis: Dan Turpin possessed a keen knowledge of military procedure and strategy - skills he used during his tenure with the SCU.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 277 Appearances of Daniel Turpin (New Earth)
- 12 Images featuring Daniel Turpin (New Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Daniel Turpin (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Daniel Turpin (New Earth)
This project page needs to be cleaned up.
This article needs maintenance and organization, as it may have become cluttered or confusing. Its heart is in a good place, it's just a little special. Won't you please help out an article in need? This template will categorize articles that include it into the Clean Up task category.