Darkseid was a New God and the ruler of Apokolips. He was also the brother of Highfather, the ruler of New Genesis, and the father of Orion. The two engaged in a drawn-out war, before agreeing to exchange their sons Scott Free and Orion, adopting them to create peace. Scott however escaped to Earth and became the hero known as "Mister Miracle".
Darkseid later started coming into conflict with Earth's heroes and at one point, initiated an invasion of the planet, but he was soon thwarted by the Justice League. However, his cosmic scheme at that moment mainly involved abducting the Justice League member Cyborg from Earth and implanting his body with a modified version of the Equation that would act as a techno-organic virus that would spread via telecommunications. Darkseid subsequently summons the Black Racer to ensure that Cyborg will not die as he transmits the Anti-Life Equation onto him. The plan backfired by tainting the equation, and infecting Darkseid himself into the Anti-Living. The crazed god plunged into the raging inferno at the heart of Apokolips and caused it to explode.
Though people had presumed him dead, Darkseid was actually trapped within the frozen core of the destroyed Apokolips. Due to the New God Metron smashing Mister Miracle into it, it developed cracks, which allowed the crazed Darkseid to break free of his prison, something Izaya had felt far away at New Genesis. He soon flew to New Genesis itself and started attacking it, before beating down his son Orion.
Powers and Abilities
- New God Physiology
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are quick enough to even catch super-fast beings like the Black Racer.
- Superhuman Speed: The infected Darkseid flew from the ruins of Apokolips to New Genesis in a very short amount of time after freeing himself.
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength
- Omega Effect
- Zombie Physiology
- Genius Level Intellect: Darkseid had researched greatly about the Anti-Life Equation and was able to figure out how to modify it, however the result he got was unexpected.
- Tactical Analysis: He plans his attacks thoroughly and is capable of misleading his opponents to his true intentions.
- Darkseid was created by Jack Kirby, first appearing in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #134. However, the DCeased version of Darkseid first appeared in DCeased #1 by Tom Taylor and Trevor Hairsine.
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World Recommended Reading:
- Forever People (Volume 1)
- Forever People (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 3)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 4)
- Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 2)
- New Gods (Volume 3)
- New Gods (Volume 4)
- Orion (Volume 1)
- Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (Volume 1): issues #133-#148
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Volume 1)
- Death of the New Gods (Volume 1)
- DC Graphic Novel #4
- Genesis (Volume 1)
- 3 Appearances of Darkseid (DCeased)
- 6 Images featuring Darkseid (DCeased)
- 1 Quotations by or about Darkseid (DCeased)
- Character Gallery: Darkseid (DCeased)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."