Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I'm your new captain, son. You believe that? "Captain Darryl Frye." Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?
- — Darryl Frye src
Darryl Frye was having an extramarital affair with Nora Allen, who was killed shortly after her husband received their divorce papers. Darryl was investigating the murder scene at Nora's house when a young Barry arrived home. He tried to explain to Barry that Nora was dead, and the evidence showed that his father killed Nora. Not wanting Nora's child to grow up an orphan, Darryl raised Barry.
Years after Nora's death, Barry still believes that his father is innocent. Struck by lightning, Barry was put on life support, which both Darryl and Henry refused to cut. While Barry was still in a coma, Darryl was promoted to captain at Barry's precinct and told him about it, wanting "family" to hear. He begged for Barry to wake up soon, not wanting to go through the same pain of losing another loved one, once again reminded of how much he misses Nora.
When Barry finally wakes up, Darryl is grateful. Barry gives Darryl his shield from his first year on the force, framed after years of seemingly being missing.
- Captain Frye was created by Cary Bates and Don Heck, first appearing in The Flash #285. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Captain Frye first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in The Flash (Volume 4) #1 by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato.
- 38 Appearances of Darryl Frye (Prime Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Darryl Frye (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Darryl Frye (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Darryl Frye (Prime Earth)