David Gregor was a notorious criminal known as the Automator. He lured Batman into a trap and made him vanish using one of his machines. While the world thought Batman was dead, Gregor actually transported him to his hideout, where he brainwashed Bruce Wayne and gave him a special serum that would prevent him from aging. All this with the sole purpose of transforming the greatest crime-fighter into the perfect criminal.
Years later, Gregor created a couple of powerful gloves, which he gave to Bruce so he could perform great criminal feats. Bruce was dubbed Golden Gloves, and he managed to cause permanent blindness to his old friend, Superman. Golden Gloves and Gregor were eventually stopped by Robin, who vowed to get the criminal who caused Batman's death. When Gregor was captured, he was forced to explain his whole plan to the heroes, who spared Bruce from going to prison and instead sent Gregor for the crimes of Golden Gloves.
- This version of Automator, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of David Gregor (Earth-184)
- 2 Images featuring David Gregor (Earth-184)
- Quotations by or about David Gregor (Earth-184)
- Character Gallery: David Gregor (Earth-184)