- I come from the planet Starhaven in the galactic core-- A world colonized by Amerinds-- Descendants of American Indians. My people were renowed throughout the galaxy for their proficiency in deep space navigation and piloting. I am the result of centuries of inbreeding... The ultimate navigator-- With a natural propulsion system far greater than any starship's-- I am a mutant!
- — Dawnstar src
Dawnstar is the daughter of Mistrider and Moonwalker and was born on the planet Starhaven a planet colonized by Amerinds from Earth. Early on in the colonization of Starhaven the colonist were bio-engineered with wings and the ability to survive in space without oxygen or protection from the rigors of space.
Thus like all the native inhabitants of Starhaven, Dawnstar was born with a pair of large feathered wings with a wingspan of 16 feet from wingtip to wingtip that allow her to fly at supersonic speeds in an atmosphere and faster than light speeds in space. Also like the rest of her people Dawnstar is able to fly in space without the need of protection from the rigors of space and without the need for oxygen. However unlike the rest of her people she was born a mutant with the unique ability to track any life form light-years from her own location. Dawnstar also had two younger brothers, Greybird and Greatfire.
When Dawnstar reached adolescence her mutant tracking ability kicked in and her parents built a thriving business having Dawnstar guide star ships through hazardous areas of space.
Dawnstar later received an invitation to attend the Legion Academy, which she reluctantly accepted at the age of 16 years of age. Her tracking and navigation talents earned her membership on her first mission. Dawnstar used her Legion stipend to pay for enhancing her home world's defenses.
Dawnstar has served in many missions with the Legion, contributing her often-underrated talents at tracking and high-speed travel to perform many rescues of her colleagues, as well as investigations of personal disappearances and similar mysteries. During the early days of the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Harbinger recruited her among others as the first line of defense.
Dawnstar had a lengthy romance with fellow Legionnaire Drake Burroughs (Wildfire). But because of the fact that Wildfire unique circumstances the romance never really went very far. However they each respected the other's defiant, outspoken personality, although they each counseled each other on working with their talents as part of a team instead of acting as individuals. Wildfire was an anti-energy being in a containment suit, and thus had no physical body. When he briefly was able to partially reverse this, they attempted a physical relationship, but were unsuccessful.
Powers and Abilities
- Starhaven Physiology: Though descended from Earth humans, Dawnstar possesses natural wings. This is a common physical trait of her people however, and is not considered unusual by the standards of Starhaven culture.
- Flight: Dawnstar and other Starhavenites have pairs of large, white-feathered wings that grow out of their upper backs, the result of genetic engineering. In deep space, she can travel at faster-than-light speeds. In an Earth-normal atmosphere or in a sizable gravity well, her speed is diminished.
- Enhanced Senses: Dawnstar is a master tracker and can track life forms and objects across light years of distance and through interstellar space. She can even use this ability while unconscious, asleep, under mind control, intoxicated and sensory blinded.
- Self-Sustenance: She can survive in deep space for long periods of time without a spacesuit or oxygen.
- Tracking: Dawnstar is a naturally gifted tracker. She is able to track, guide and chart specific persons or objects through space.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Like all members of the Legion, Dawnstar is trained in combat. Her combat techniques are specialized for use of her wings.
- Legion Flight Ring: While not needing a flight ring, she wears one for it's other uses.
- 219 Appearances of Dawnstar (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 46 Images featuring Dawnstar (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 7 Quotations by or about Dawnstar (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Character Gallery: Dawnstar (Pre-Zero Hour)
Legion of Super-Heroes member
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Dawnstar. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.|