- Men have called my name for countless eons. They have searched the four corners of the world for me. They have defied the forces of the unknown, the realms of the dark mystics in search of answers they cannot possess.
- — Destiny src
Destiny is the personification of destiny and the oldest of the Endless. He carried the Book of Souls chained to his right wrist, which contained all past, present, and future events. He does not leave footprints, nor does he cast a shadow. Destiny's realm is the Garden of Forking Ways, the maze-like paths of which he walks continually. His book is his sigil in the galleries of the other Endless. Although Destiny is blind, it is no apparent hindrance to him. He is always calm, detached, and sombre even in extreme situations.
10 billion years ago
Destiny came into existence once sentient lifeforms capable of having a destiny appeared in the universe. Destiny was one of the Endless, personifications of ideas and concepts that were tied to life, and were fated to fulfill their functions until the universe ended and all life disappeared from the cosmos.
80,000 years ago
After Despair was murdered, Destiny and the Endless went to the Necropolis to put her body to rest. The Necropolitans had long lost their passion for their job, and didn't know about the Necropolis' arrangement with the Endless, so they laughed at them when they asked for Despair's remnants and the Book of Rituals. Destiny revoked the Necropolis' charter, causing it to be destroyed. The village of Litharge was granted a charter by the Endless and became the new Necropolis.
Destruction called a family meeting of the Endless, and announced to Destiny and the others that he was abandoning his duties and taking his leave for good. Destiny was not surprised by this turn of events.
Destiny called a gathering of the Endless, telling them a meeting with the Fates made him aware that he had to call the family gathering to set in motion a chain of events that would cause change and upheaval. During the course of conversation Desire got under Dream's skin by reminding him of Nada. Dream was indignant, but Death said she agreed with Desire, sending his lover to Hell for spurning him was an awful thing to do. Dream vowed to make amends by journeying to Hell and saving Nada's soul. Destiny told his brothers and sisters that his task was accomplished and the family meeting was at an end.
Destiny read about the end of the events he set in motion in his cosmic log. Lucifer Morningstar abandoned Hell, and gave the key to Hell to Dream. It was voluntarily taken from Dream by the angels Remiel and Duma, who ruled Hell under the direct command of the Creator.
Dream and Delirium asked for Destiny's advice on finding their lost brother Destruction. Destiny told Dream that he should drop this business, as it would lead to his death, but Destiny knew he would continue his search for Destruction despite this advice, so he advised him to seek out the oracle Orpheus.
Destiny realized there were four men who were impossibly invisible to the Book and whose actions were rewriting pages sporadically and jeopardizing the time-space continuum. Destiny resolved the Book wasn't safe with him anymore and the only ones who could fix it were those four individuals who existed out of its pages, so out of despair he broke the chain and took steps to place it in their hands.
Unfortunately, the Luck Lords saw his desperate gambit as a golden opportunity to get hold of the Book which they'd coveted for millennia. In order to stop their schemes, Destiny summoned Supergirl and her then-guide Lobo to his Garden and entrusted the mission of finding and delivering the Book to her, Green Lantern and Batman.
The souls he was referring to were the Challengers of the Unknown, the team who Destiny intended to claim the book. After a struggle between all factions, the Book was put under the Challengers' care until Megistus was defeated, upon which time was repaired and Destiny reclaimed his Book.
As revealed to Tim Hunter by Mister E, Destiny will exist as long as the universe does, and in fact he and his sister Death will be the last two beings in existence. When the universe dies, Destiny will die with it, leaving only Death, who will go on to things unknown.
- Personification of Destiny: One of the seven Endless, inconceivably powerful beings, Destiny is both lord and personification of all destiny and freedom, He had god-like powers and absolute power over his realm, a garden containing all possible destinies of present, past and future. Destiny has power over predetermined course of events as well as the absence of necessity and constraint in choice.
- Immortality: Destiny was ageless and virtually immortal.
- Vast Knowledge: Destiny knows all there is of the past, present and future.
- Ancient Rules: Despite his great powers Destiny, like the rest of the Endless, was bound to a complex set of rules and customs.
- He cannot spill the blood of family or he is no longer protected as the personification of Destiny from the other Endless.
- He cannot fall in love with a mortal or the mortals downfall is assured.
- Challengers of the Unknown: The challengers exist outside of Destiny's control. They do not appear in the Book of Souls and are capable of changing predestined events.
- Book of Souls: He was chained to the Cosmic Log, or Book of Souls, that contained the history of the universe and every one of its inhabitants from the dawn of creation through the end of time.
- Historically, Destiny was the first Endless to be published, if one takes into account that the versions of Death before 1989 are not related to the Endless known as Death.
- 59 Appearances of Destiny (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Destiny (New Earth)
- 6 Quotations by or about Destiny (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Destiny (New Earth)
This character exists under the Vertigo Imprint which is intended for Mature Readers. Vertigo titles although they may cross over into regular DC continuity.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Vertigo Characters."
Copy Edit Needed