""Leatherwing"": The privateer Captain Leatherwing and his trusty first mate Alfredo board a Spanish ship known as the Santa Corazon. Leatherwing captures the crew and rescues the island slave girl Princess Quext'chala. Sailing back towards the Cayman Islands, Leatherwing's vessel the Flyi
- And if his words are true and we might plunder the stronghold of the grand Captain Leatherwing himself... then the riches of a hundred galleons will be mine. And a tide of blood will carry my enemies before me.
Synopsis for "Leatherwing"
The privateer Captain Leatherwing and his trusty first mate Alfredo board a Spanish ship known as the Santa Corazon. Leatherwing captures the crew and rescues the island slave girl Princess Quext'chala. Sailing back towards the Cayman Islands, Leatherwing's vessel the Flying Fox stops at Kingston Harbor. A street urchin known as Robin Redblade stows away on Leatherwing's ship.
Meanwhile, a rival pirate captain known as the Laughing Man attempts to find Leatherwing's hidden harbor, Vespertilio Cay, also known as the Bat's Cay. The Laughing Man scuttles a ship and interrogates its captain as to the Bat Cay's location.
The Flying Fox brings Princess Quext'chala back to her father King Hapa. To show his gratitude, Hapa offers Leatherwing his daughter's hand in marriage. Leatherwing accidentally accepts a ceremonial marriage bracelet before realizing the full ramifications of receiving such a gift. Leatherwing and Alfredo board the Flying Fox and sail off. Leatherwing discovers Robin Redblade's presence on his ship and provides him with food and a cabin.
Meanwhile, the Laughing Man finds a vivacious female pirate named Capitan Felina. The two conspire with one another to find Bat's Cay. The Laughing Man pretends to force Felina off the plank into a sea of hungry sharks. As the Flying Fox approaches, Leatherwing sees what is taking place and dives into the water to save Felina. He brings her aboard his ship and becomes immediately infatuated with her. Felina is discouraged however as Alfredo indicates that his captain only recently took a bride. With Felina on board, Leatherwing sails for Bat's Cay.
The Laughing Man follows in his own ship the Pescador. He enters Bat's Cay and fires his cannons at the Flying Fox. Capitan Felina decides to betray the Laughing Man and takes Leatherwing's side in the fight. Leatherwing boards the Pescador and delivers a fatal stab to the Laughing Man's chest with his sword. He then professes his love to Capitan Felina.
Appearing in "Leatherwing"
- Beetle (Single appearance)
- Big Bill (Single appearance)
- Cavallo (Single appearance)
- Craven (Single appearance)
- Don Vedugo (Single appearance)
- King Hapa (Single appearance)
- Princess Quext'chala (Single appearance)
- Spivey (Single appearance)
- The Flying Fox
- The Pescador
- The Santa Corazon
- This issue is reprinted in Superman/Batman: Alternate Histories.
- This issue is part of the 1994 "Elseworlds" Annuals, and does not take place within normal DC Comics continuity. The 2006 Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths slipcase edition provided this reality with the designation Earth-494.
- Vespertilio Cay (Bat's Cay) is an obvious analog to Batman's headquarters the Batcave.
- A sequel to this story, "The Bride of Leatherwing", was published as one of three stories in Batman Chronicles #11.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
|Elseworlds Annual |
This issue was part of the 1994 Elseworlds Annuals crossover event, in which every annual was an alternate universe story of their respective title characters. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Annuals and Elseworlds Annuals category.