"Midnight Rustler of Gotham City": Commissioner Gordon summons Batman to help him solve a problem involving four slaughterhouses each losing a herd of cattle. The Commissioner got an anonymous tip about a fifth attempt to occur that night
Appearing in "Midnight Rustler of Gotham City"
- Zachary Wolfe (Single appearance)
- Tad Wolfe (First appearance)
- Unnamed New Mexico Medicine Chief (In dream sequence only)
Synopsis for "Midnight Rustler of Gotham City"
Commissioner Gordon summons Batman to help him solve a problem involving four slaughterhouses each losing a herd of cattle. The Commissioner got an anonymous tip about a fifth attempt to occur that night involving a cattle boat. Batman spots the normally unused Refugee Island Ferry in transit and presumes it to be part of the smuggling. Batman boards the boat and is confronted by Tad Wolfe who is about to shoot Batman when his gun misfires. Batman catches him, bringing him to a police station where Tad's brother, Zach, refuses to post bail.
That night Batman dreams of an encounter with a New Mexico medicine chief he met during his training to become Batman. The dream ends with a clicking noise and the imagery forming a gun. Batman poses as 'Slicker' and gathers information about Zachary Wolfe. He redresses as Batman and confronts Zachary in his warehouse. Zachary orders all his truck drivers to immediately stop and empty their trucks which allows all the stolen cattle to run free. Batman and the police help corral the cattle. Batman realizes the dream was his subconscious pointing out to him that Tad Wolfe had purposefully misfired by placing his wedding band in front of the gun's hammer. In the end, Batman deduces Tad was the anonymous informant.
Appearing in "The Mystery Man Who Walked on Air"
- Chief McDonald (Single appearance)
- Paul Shuster (Single appearance)
- Mrs. Roberts (Single appearance)
- Egg Bomb
Synopsis for "The Mystery Man Who Walked on Air"
Sue and Ralph are on vacation in Florida when Sue wakes Ralph up to tell him that someone is walking outside their window. As they are on the ninth floor, Ralph dresses and chases after the old man who is carrying a birdcage. He tells Ralph he is tired of walking, grabs the bird and flies off. Later Ralph and Sue are sailing when Ralph spots the same man standing on the water. He grabs a fish and swims off. Ralph chases the man onto a dock where the man disappears seemingly through a wall. Ralph enters the building and sees a guard being held at gunpoint as another man robs the place. Ralph takes them down quickly then finds the old man sitting on Hard Boiled Harry The Bomb. After the police take everyone away, Ralph confronts the old man knowing that he is really Barry Allen in disguise. Sue tells them that the mystery was Ralph's birthday present.
- "The Mystery Man Who Walked on Air!" is reprinted in The Best of DC #48.
- Batman uses an alias called 'Slicker' to gather information.
- Sue setting up mysteries for Ralph to solve on his birthday was a running theme. This mystery was shown in two flashback panels in Identity Crisis #1. Sue's outfit and hairstyle in the flashback are different than in the actual story.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Elongated Man Recommended Reading