"Batman: "The Deadly Web of the Crime Exchange!"": Batman, claiming to be a reporter, is trapped in the Crime Exchange Headquarters and told to grab a gun and fire a bullet into the floor (thus proving he is not Batman as Batman has vowed never to use a gun - even
Appearing in Batman: "The Deadly Web of the Crime Exchange!"
- Crime Exchange (Final appearance)
- Walter Grimes (Revealed as The President) (Final appearance)
- Veep (Final appearance)
- Gotham City
Synopsis for Batman: "The Deadly Web of the Crime Exchange!"
Batman, claiming to be a reporter, is trapped in the Crime Exchange Headquarters and told to grab a gun and fire a bullet into the floor (thus proving he is not Batman as Batman has vowed never to use a gun - even to save his own life). Batman grabs the gun and hurls it into the video screen causing a blackout. He quickly changes back into his criminal costume as the others open the door making it appear Batman has escaped into thin air.
Later, Batman meets with Gordon and reveals that he has planted a bug in the Crime Exchange's communication room so they can monitor their conversations. The bug begins transmitting and Batman heads for the source which leads him to an empty field. The President is communicating from a mobile source. Batman comes up with a different strategy and, as Bruce Wayne, asks his fellow wealthy patrons to begin reporting fake robberies. Meanwhile Batman begins interrupting the Crime Exchange's robberies as he hears about them earlier. The President believes there is another gang in town, committing the wealthy patron's robberies, and orders the Vice President to offer a merger.
Batman sets up a fake headquarters and the Crime Exchange leader and henchmen arrive but Batman catches them all. The President is unmasked revealing the Vice President - a double cross. But Batman offers the Vice President a deal to avoid a criminal sentence by calling the President and keeping him on the line long enough for Batman to trace and get to his location. Finding the trailer, Batman boosts the antenna and sets the video call to intercept televisions all across Gotham City. Batman enters and unmasks the President - TV show host Walter Grimes. Walter releases the vehicles brakes and the trailer plunges down a hill. Batman stops the signal, captures Grimes.
Appearing in Elongated Man: "The Case of the Reverse Pickpocket!"
- Dr. Prouty (Single appearance)
- Mr. Barnes (Single appearance)
- "Weasel" Wilson (Single appearance)
- Lt. Reynolds (Single appearance)
- Bus Terminal
- Hotel Metropolis
- Police Headquarters
- Weasel's Residence
Synopsis for Elongated Man: "The Case of the Reverse Pickpocket!"
Sue takes all of Ralph's money so she can go shopping. Later, Ralph is approached by a girl selling cookies and, to prove he's out of money, opens his wallet only to find it's full of money again. Realizing he's been reverse pick-pocketed, he finds the man responsible - "Weasel" Wilson who is angry until a nearby gentlemen flips his cigarette lighter twice. Suddenly Weasel is amenable and the two go to the nearest police station where Weasel is interrogated including the use of a lie detector and reveals he's never seen the money before (though his fingerprints are on it). Suspecting hypnosis, Ralph grabs a cigarette lighter and flips it twice and Weasel blurts out the name of Dr. Prouty. Weasel is to be held, a fact noticed by a criminal named Barnes who is being released. Suspecting that Weasel's loot's in his apartment, Barnes organizes a robbery which Ralph stops. The police spot Dr. Prouty heading for a bus and Ralph intercepts him, throwing him off guard with Weasel's recognition of him, then capturing him and finding the rest of the stolen money.
- According to the captions, this Batman story (last issue and this one) occurs over the span of about five weeks.
- The man featured in the cover and the same scene on the inside, is modeled after editor Julius Schwartz.
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)