- Batman! Glad you're using your head for something besides a hatrack...
Appearing in "The Mad Hatter Flips His Lids!"
- Clarisse (Gotham Gazette)
- Gotham City Police Department
- Joan Lincoln (Cameo)
- Martha Wayne (portrait)
- Mrs. Harrison (Fisher's secretary)
- Thomas Wayne (portrait)
- Warden Fisher (Single appearance)
- Gotham City
Synopsis for "The Mad Hatter Flips His Lids!"The second Mad Hatter is released from Gotham State Prison on parole. He asks them to give him a hat, but Warden Fisher says they decided against it. There is an official car waiting outside to pick him up, but Batman and Robin are in the front seat. Batman counsels the Hatter to go straight, telling him he's lucky to have a second chance. Batman explains to Robin that he's frustrated seeing so many of his villains become repeat offenders, and he's hoping they're not all beyond redemption. The second they let Hatter out of the car he makes a paper hat out of newspaper and goes crazy again.
One week later, Commissioner Gordon tells Batman and Robin that the Hatter missed his parole meeting. They also received a package addressed to Batman, a hatbox with a clue inside. Batman hears that Mad Hatter is terrorizing the Liars' Club so he swings into action. When they arrive, they find the Hatter and his armed goons passing hats around to collect wallets. They fight Hatter's goons, but Hatter uses his flame-spewing fireman helmet and escapes. Batman and Robin retire to Wayne Manor with Alfred until they can figure out the Hatter's next clue.
Batman realizes the Hatter is commiting crimes that are only symbolically related to hats. They go to the Gotham Sports Arena because when someone scores three goals in a sports game it's called a hat trick. Mad Hatter is robbing the ticket booth, but he throws a gasmask filled with gas at Batman and escapes. They chase Hatter's goons into the Hall of Sport where there's a big fight on a giant billiards table.
Batman decides to draw the Hatter out by running for councilman as Bruce Wayne, "throwing his hat into the ring." Commissioner Gordon attends the ceremony and tells Bruce Wayne that his parents would be ashamed of his foppish behavior if they were alive today. The Mad Hatter arrives with flying campaign hats that are also razor blades and they fly around and cut you. Batman and Robin spring into action, barely dodging the deadly hats. They chase Mad Hatter onto the roof where he gets onto his flying hat rocket thing to escape. Batman sabotages the Hatter's controls and makes him crash. The Hatter tries to pull a gun on Batman, but Batman knocks his hand away and punches him out. Batman is then horrified to see that the bullet hit Robin.
- The first six issues of Mike W. Barr's run on Detective Comics (#569–574) have a strange position in continuity. It's clear that they take place in Post-Crisis continuity (following the Crisis on Infinite Earths), because the book switches over at the Legends crossover in #568. However, they were written prior to Frank Miller's reboot of Batman's origins in Year One and Max Allan Collins' reboot of Robin's origins in Batman #408. These stories are technically no longer part of Pre-Crisis continuity, but they're also missing some elements of the Post-Crisis reboots.
- This issue in particular features the Mad Hatter II, who was already replaced by the original Mad Hatter. These changes were made by Doug Moench and Len Wein as the previous creative team of Batman, eliminating Mad Hatter II. Mike Barr and Denny O'Neil probably ignored these developments and used the surrogate version of the character instead.
- This story is reprinted in Batman: The Dark Knight Detective, Vol. 1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 573 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 573
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)