"Rite of Passage - Part One: Shadow on the Sun": In the Batcave, Tim Drake and Batman are on the hunt for a hacker who is siphoning money away from banks digitally. Eventually, [[Alfred Pennyworth (New Eart
- Land your plane, M. Goossens. You see, I know your name. I know your house. I know your barber. I know what you believe!
Appearing in "Rite of Passage - Part One: Shadow on the Sun"
- Obeah Man (First appearance)
- Willy the Hat (Single appearance)
- Jack Drake
- Janet Drake
- Jeremy (First appearance)
- Killer Croc (In a vision)
- Penguin (In a vision)
- Joker (In a vision)
- Thomas Wayne (In a photograph only)
- Martha Wayne (In a photograph only)
- Louis Dange
- Pierre Dange
- Dunc Reynolds (Single appearance)
- Giant Penny (Cameo)
- Giant Joker Card (Cameo)
- Mechanical T-Rex (Cameo)
- Thomas Wayne's Batman Costume (Cameo)
Synopsis for "Rite of Passage - Part One: Shadow on the Sun"
In the Batcave, Tim Drake and Batman are on the hunt for a hacker who is siphoning money away from banks digitally. Eventually, Alfred appears with the mail, which includes a postcard from Tim's parents. He is a little disappointed to know that they are extending their trip in the tropics.
Elsewhere, a Haitian man prays to voodoo idols for strength but is enraged when he realizes that his son has been filming his prayers. His son is curious about the contents of a closet which he has been told never to open. His father restates the warning before leaving his son alone in their home.
On a plane over the Caribbean, Jack and Janet Drake are not speaking to one another and are using their personal secretary as a liaison for arguing with one another. They decide not to land on Haiti as they pass over it. The pilot, however, receives a call on his ear-piece ordering him to land the plane. When the voice claims to be someone called the Obeah Man, the pilot is terrified and complies.
By the time the Drakes realize something is wrong, they have already landed and are surrounded by armed Haitians. The Haitians shoot the pilot and drag the Drakes and their secretary to a hut in the middle of the forest. There, they are welcomed by a figure calling himself the Obeah Man.
Back in Gotham City, Batman takes out some thugs, but finding no connection to the internet thief, he returns to the cave. Tim is there, planning to watch some television, but a news report reveals that his parents and their plane have disappeared. Tim is shocked and fears for the lives of his parents. He retreats to his room, and Alfred councils Batman not to follow, reminding him that it is difficult to console one who has lost a parent. Batman busies himself by tracing the actions of the internet thief as it attempts to siphon funds from Wayne Enterprises. Unfortunately, the hacker manages to override Bruce's own programs and escapes with the money.
Meanwhile, Tim sits in his room, wondering what he should feel about what has happened.
- The "Novick Fire Escape Inc." label from page 12 is a homage and reference to legendary Batman artist, Irv Novick.
- There is a reference to the 1939 Sherlock Holmes film serial, starring Basil Rathbone.
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 618 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 618