"The Vermin Factor": Otis Flannegan attends to a parole hearing and just as he is being questioned, he takes out a flute to call upon the nearby rats and escapes despite Batman and Robin efforts to catch
- If I've learned anything from my little friends it's about survival. A rat will do anything to survive... anything to be... FREE!
Synopsis for "The Vermin Factor"
Dick tells Tim to research on Ratcatcher's past crimmes but what he finds out is that Two-Face has been released a couple of days before. As he was about to join Dick to catch the Ratcatcher; Jack Drake asks Tim to go to a tennis play that night. Tim informs this to Dick and he prepares the plan to catch Flannegan and find something about Two-Face's whereabouts by discussing the matter to Commissioner Gordon. Gordon tells Dick all he knows about Two-Face's early release from prison and also tells him that he is aware of the changes in the mantle of the bat.
That night in some pub, Two-Face caused a disturbance and in the meantime, Flannegan was in the sewers preparing to set his plan on march. He gathered almost every rat in Gotham City. His plan was to send them all into the main aqueduct to prevent the water to evacuate so the city would be flooded. Batman located Flannegan with help of a tracking device he attached to a rat and lead him straight to the Ratcatcher. Batman managed to stop Flannegan and spread the remaining rats from the sewers; but he knew that his most difficult challenge would come when he faced against Two-Face.
Appearing in "The Vermin Factor"
- Killer Croc (Mentioned only)
- Ventriloquist (Mentioned only)
- Alfred Pennyworth (Mentioned only)
- Jimmy (Single appearance)
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Prodigal, Batman: Prodigal New Edition and Batman: Knightfall Volume Three - KnightsEnd trade paperbacks.
- This issue was published shortly after Detective Comics #0.
- This events on this issue take place between Shadow of the Bat #32 and Robin #11.
==Trivia==* There is a comparison of a sonic disruptor and Yoko Ono's singing.