"Knight Without Armor": Batman and Robin investigate a homicide case. A witness told them what he saw and described the assasin as a big figure with wings, claws, helmet and all clad in metal. From the description Dick thinks it was [
Appearing in "Knight Without Armor"
- Bruce Wayne
- Harold Allnut
- Harvey Bullock
- Jean-Paul Valley
- Mackenzie Bock (First appearance)
- Renée Montoya
- Sarah Essen-Gordon
- Stan Kitch
- Big Danny Fresco (Only appearance; dies)
- Chubby Moran (Only appearance; dies)
- Handy Andy Baron (Only appearance; dies)
- Little Danny Fresco (Only appearance; dies)
- Lucky Silver (Only appearance; dies)
- Morry "The Mallet" DeVane (Only appearance; dies)
- Nick "The Grip" Teller (Only appearance; dies)
- Steeljacket (First appearance)
- Vince (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Knight Without Armor"
Batman and Robin investigate a homicide case. A witness told them what he saw and described the assasin as a big figure with wings, claws, helmet and all clad in metal. From the description Dick thinks it was Azrael; but Tim thought differently. They decided to follow their own hunches to find the killer. Dick went in search of Azrael and Tim headed back to the batcave to do some research. He analyzed the current victims and deduced one possible target.
Dick searched for Jean-Paul and found that the guy was living at some missionary residence for the homeless. When he faced Valley, he freaked out and asked Batman to leave him alone. Dick then realized that Jean-Paul was in no shape to be a serial killer. Robin on the other hand reached the location of the next victim just as it was about to be ambushed. He managed to defeat a pair of thugs but then the killer arrived, killed his target and pointed out that as a witness Robin must die.
Dick returned to the batcave, expecting to hear Tim saying "told you" for making a mistake with Jean-Paul; but instead he finds Bruce waiting for him.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Prodigal and Batman: Knightfall Volume Three - KnightsEnd trade paperbacks.
- First appearance of Steeljacket. He appears next in Robin (Volume 4) #13.
- The events of this issue takes place between Shadow of the Bat #34 and Robin #13.
- The cover features a newspaper that reads "Nolan Did Cover". This is a reference to the cover artist Graham Nolan, who did the actual cover.
- There is a mention to Jean-Paul's favorite Disney movie as part of the info gathering on the man.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 681 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 681
Links and References
- Detective Comics article at Wikipedia
- Detective Comics series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Detective Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database Project