"Systemic Shock": An unknown villain sets a gas explosion in the center of a Gotham park. The police, Batman and Robin track the man but he manages to escape. The gas was a strong defoliant that killed every plant in the park. Meanwhile,
- The suffering. The pain. Can't you hear them? Their cries for mercy?
- -- Poison Ivy
Appearing in "Systemic Shock"
- Alfred Pennyworth
- Gotham City Police Department
- Amygdala (Cameo)
- Armand Krol
- Marion Grange
- Mad Hatter (Cameo)
- Seth Voder
- Andy Howe (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Systemic Shock"
An unknown villain sets a gas explosion in the center of a Gotham park. The police, Batman and Robin track the man but he manages to escape. The gas was a strong defoliant that killed every plant in the park. Meanwhile, Marion Grange won the elections for mayor and the police tries to discover what kind of chemichals were used to create the gas bomb in the park.
At Arkham Asylum, Poison Ivy watches as the grass in the garddens is being cut down. She refuses to watch it and turns her view to the T.V. in which the news were reporting the incident in the park to as Ivy watches in shock.
Armand Krol plans to put an incompetent man as the Gotham Police Commissioner as to undermine Marion Grange's management. It is then revealed that the man who set the bomb is just a citizen prone to suffer from allergies of any kind induced mainly by plants and pollem.
The doctors at Arkham allowed Poison Ivy to work in the kitchen making some salads. Ivy gave them some red vegetables similar to radishes; but when the doctors ate them, they were unable to breathe. The vegetables were actually a plant known as "jack in the pulpit"; and Ivy had the doctors at her mercy.
The police tracked the responsible for the gas bomb and planned a raid on the man's house; but before they could make their move, the man ran away driving a chemical container. Batman and Robin followed him but the pursue lead them to a rising drawbridge. The Allergent managed to jump above the bridge but Batman and Robin couldn't do it and they find themselves falling helpless to the river.
- No special notes.
- The plant used by Poison Ivy to intoxicate the doctors is a real plant. It's named Arisaema triphyllum and it is very similar in appearance to the Poison Ivy plant. It also have some poisonous effects.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 693 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 693