"The Death Lottery, Part II: Heart of Stone": Gunhawk shoots Lucius Fox. On another rooftop, Deathstroke shoots but misses his target due to the distraction created by Gunhawk's shot. Deathstroke spots Gunhaw
- Well, I'd love to stick around for your disappearing routine, but I've got things to do downstairs. Let me know when you have something.
- -- James Gordon
Appearing in "The Death Lottery, Part II: Heart of Stone"
- Gunhawk (Flashback and main story)
- Deathstroke (Flashback and main story)
- Mr. Quintain
- Leopold Klescht (Dies)
- Lucius Fox
- Tanya Fox
- Devlin Davenport
- Gotham City Police Department
- United States Army (Flashback only)
- Pogues (Flashback only)
- Henri Ducard (In a computer screen only)
- Deadshot (In a computer screen only)
- Bunny (In a photograph only)
- Marion Grange
- Gotham City
- Lebanon (Flashback only)
- Beirut (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Death Lottery, Part II: Heart of Stone"
That night, Batman and Robin search the crime scene. Batman tells Robin that Lucius will be OK and that one of the snipers might be a sharpshooter called Gunhawk. He tells Robin that he does not know who the second shooter is.
Bruce Wayne visits Lucius Fox at the hospital. Sarah Essen-Gordon and Mackenzie Bock arrive during the visit and Wayne excuses himself and leaves. While the police are questioning Lucius, a man in black swings in through the hospital window. The detectives shoot the man and killed him.
Oracle and Robin are discussing potential leads when Batman walks into the cave and tells Robin they are on the move. They go visit Commissioner Gordon on the GCPD roof, where he tells them the identity of the man who tried to kill Lucius at the hosptial. Back at the cave, Oracle calls and tells Alfred that she's found a possible suspect.
That evening some of Gotham's socialites are gathering on a boat for a charity event. Gunhawk covertly climbs aboard. Batman finds and confronts Deathstroke atop a nearby roof as both assassins are aiming at J. Devlin Davenport.
- This book was first published on March 19, 1997.
- This is the second part of the storyline labeled as The Death Lottery; featuring Deathstroke and Gunhawk.
- The events of this issue take place between Detective Comics #708 and Detective Comics #710.
- Lucius Fox hints that he suspects that Bruce plays the fool to keep his playboy persona.
- There is a list of suspects in the batcomputer that shows Henri Ducard and Deadshot. There are two other assassins but it is unclear who they are.
- In Oracle's laptop, a list os suspects appears. Most of the names are from DC creators at the time. These include: Jim Aparo; Darren Vincenzo; Jim Balent; Dennis O'Neil and Kelley Puckett.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 709 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)