"Hearts": Sasha Bordeaux is unimpressed by the way that Bruce Wayne's relationship with Vesper Fairchild is progressing. The two of them appear to be getting serious, but Bruce does not seem happy, and S
- Vesper Fairchild... Go home. Go. Home.
- — Batman
Appearing in "Hearts"
- Sasha Bordeaux
- Vesper Fairchild
- Maggie Sawyer
- Toby Raynes (Behind the scenes)
- Michael Akins
- Renee Montoya
- Crispus Allen
- Tommy Burke
- Alan (a vagrant) (Single appearance)
- Bruce Wayne's limousine
Synopsis for "Hearts"
Sasha Bordeaux is unimpressed by the way that Bruce Wayne's relationship with Vesper Fairchild is progressing. The two of them appear to be getting serious, but Bruce does not seem happy, and Sasha cannot see how the relationship could help his role as Batman, which she knows he takes so seriously that he tends to guard his heart zealously. Meanwhile, Maggie Sawyer, formerly Captain of the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit, has moved to Gotham City, taking a demotion to Lieutenant to head up the first shift of the Major Crimes Unit. She tells her new command that this is because she wants to get back to real policing and because she has been told they are the best detectives around - she wants them to prove it to her.
Vesper Fairchild continues her work trying to get a photo of Batman, following up a lead from a vagrant named Alan. However, Batman finds her and tells her to leave. The next day, when she visits Bruce Wayne, she finds him lounging in his pool with three beautiful young ladies - shocked, she leaves. Later, at the Police Headquarters, Maggie talks to her girlfriend Toby on the phone, telling her how much she misses her.
Appearing in "Josie Mac. Lost Voices, Part Two"
- Oscar Castro (First appearance)
- Josie's dad (Behind the scenes)
- Vincent Anotelli (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Josie Mac. Lost Voices, Part Two"
Josie investigates the Anotelli kidnapping, along with her unpopular partner Oscar Castro, an alcoholic who is cruising through his last three years before retirement. They speak to mobster Vincent Anotelli, who is devastated by his grandson's kidnapping, and partly blames himself. He reveals that Anthony has been missing for a week and Castro assumes he must be dead by now. Later, Josie investigates Anthony's bedroom and finds a sock that yearns to be matched with its other half. Using her ability to find lost things, she works out where the other sock is and gets her father to phone in an anonymous tip about it. However, when they raid the relevant property, they just find Anthony's abandoned clothes. Things are not looking good.
- Maggie Sawyer joins the GCPD with this issue, transferring from the Superman family of comics to the Batman family. She last appeared in Superman: The Man of Steel #119.
- Maggie's girlfriend, Toby Raines, appears only as the person (unheard) on the other end of the line in two telephone conversations. She is still living in Metropolis.
- Commissioner Akins refers to his wife Garselle for the first (and only?) time in this issue.
- The editors of Hearts are credited as Michael "Constant Reader" Wright and Robert "Dear Abby" Schreck, in keeping with the romantic themes of the lead story.
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 764 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 764