"The Beautiful People": Batman investigates a crime ring involving well-dressed muggers attacking various members of Gotham's high society. He beats up mugger Johnny Lange on a subway platform, but Lange missteps, falling backwards onto the rails where he is crushed b
- I hear the soft gurgle of pleasure in the mugger's throat. I'll turn it into a scream.
- -- Bruce Wayne
Appearing in "The Beautiful People"
- Façade (First appearance)
- Arthur Reed (In a photograph only)
- Batman Villains (Flashback only)
- Johnny Lange (mugger; dies)
- Matthew Atkins (Bruce Wayne's friend)
- Ronald Edwards (First appearance)
- Ryan (henchman)
- Vanessa Ford (henchman)
- Gotham City
Synopsis for "The Beautiful People"
Batman investigates a crime ring involving well-dressed muggers attacking various members of Gotham's high society. He beats up mugger Johnny Lange on a subway platform, but Lange missteps, falling backwards onto the rails where he is crushed by an oncoming train.
Batman returns to the Batcave and decides to investigate the matter further in the guise of Bruce Wayne. Changing clothes, he attends a party at the Peregrinator's Club where he meets several wealthy entrepreneurs, as well as a reporter named Vanessa Ford. Bruce suspects that Vanessa may be involved and checks on her background.
He tracks her back to the headquarters of a masked criminal known as Façade. Façade is in charge of the mugging operation and defends his home with a bizarre array of gun-toting mannequins. Batman and Robin raid the lair and apprehend Façade's goons, but the villain gets away.
Batman later lures him back to the Peregrinator's Club where he succeeds in unmasking him. Façade is actually Erik Hanson, a busboy working at the club. Erik was able to hack into the club's database in order to obtain information on people that he would later rob.
- This book was first published on July 5, 2006.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Detective collected edition and Batman: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- Robin appeared last in Teen Titans (Volume 3) #37.
- Several members of Facade's gang are former employees of the Penguin.
- Writer Paul Dini is more popularly known as the writer/producer of the 1992 television program, Batman: The Animated Series.
- Peregrinator means to travel from place to place, especially on foot. How this naming convention relates to members of the Peregrinator's Club is unknown.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 821 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 821
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)