- I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. I learnt that inside every one of them there will always be both. The choice each must make for themselves: something no hero will ever defeat. And now I know... that only love can truly save the world. So now I stay, I fight, and I give. For the world I know can be. This is my mission now. Forever.
- — Wonder Woman src
After the Gods of Olympus intervened in the affairs of men and helped liberate the Amazons from slavery, Ares was angry. So angry he killed all the other gods. Zeus, mortally wounded, could only escape. He created an island for the Amazons where they could hide from Ares, and also gave them a powerful weapon, the only thing that could kill a god: another god. He gave Hippolyta a daughter, Diana. To make sure no one would find out, Hippolyta created a cover story that she crafted her daughter out of clay. Diana was not to know her true heritage, or Ares might resurface.
Growing up, Diana knew she was different, but not how. She was banned from training with the other Amazons, though she took up secret training with her aunt Antiope. As she grew up, she became a formidable fighter. But like her mother feared, the intense training eventually led her to find out she had more powers than other Amazons.
Diana returned to the limelight close to a century later, hoping to retrieve the photograph of her and her team that was taken in Veld. It was stored on a secure LexCorp server, which required her to infiltrate the facility during a gala. She met Bruce Wayne, who also planned to extract files from LexCorp servers, and following the party communicated with him about the information. He learned about her secret and gave her the file she wanted.
Originally planning to return home, Diana glimpsed a news report of Batman and Superman fighting a monstrous creature in Metropolis. She came to their aid but it still couldn't turn the battle around. Eventually, Superman killed the creature with a Green Kryptonite spear, but sacrificed himself in the process.
Powers and Abilities
- Demigod Physiology: Diana is the daughter of the Amazonian Queen Hippolyta, and Olympian God Zeus. She was originally conceived to be the ultimate weapon against her half-brother Ares.
- Art Restoration
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Extended Universe and is an adaptation of Wonder Woman. The original character was created by William Moulton Marston and Harry G. Peter and first appeared in All-Star Comics #8.
- Wonder Woman is played by Gal Gadot. Lilly Aspel and Emily Carey portray young Diana at ages 8 and 12, respectively.
- Wonder Woman Recommended Reading
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Comic Cavalcade (Volume 1)
- JLA (Volume 1)
- Sensation Comics (Volume 1)
- Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- The Legend of Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- The Legend of Wonder Woman (Volume 2)
- Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- Wonder Woman (Volume 2)
- Wonder Woman (Volume 3)
- Wonder Woman (Volume 4)
- Wonder Woman (Volume 5)
- 7 Appearances of Diana of Themyscira (DC Extended Universe)
- 35 Images featuring Diana of Themyscira (DC Extended Universe)
- 3 Quotations by or about Diana of Themyscira (DC Extended Universe)
- Character Gallery: Diana of Themyscira (DC Extended Universe)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.