Diane Meade, the daughter of the Middleton police commissioner, passed the test to qualify as "emergency policewoman".
Despite her father's concerns, the police captain assigned her to accompany police detective John Jones on a trial assignment. Fortunately, Jones -- who was actually J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter -- was able to protect her and solve a case as well. At this time, the world had not yet heard of the Martian Manhunter, since he operated in secret.
Some time later, after the Martian Manhunter's identity had been revealed to the world, Meade returned and was permanently assigned as John Jones' partner. In this role, she occasionally suspected that Jones was actually the Martian Manhunter, but he always managed to trick her into doubting her suspicions.
Later, J'onn J'onzz faked the death of his alter-ego John Jones. Diane Meade attended Jones' funeral, believing him dead.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In her first appearance, Diane Meade was a redhead. In future appearances she was a blonde.
- 42 Appearances of Diane Meade (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Diane Meade (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Diane Meade (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Diane Meade (New Earth)