Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I am Dominic Mndawe. And that is my gift. My helm and elixir allow me to aggregate life, to create chimeras.
- — Dominic Mndawe src
Using an elixir and a helmet, Dominic Mndawe becomes Freedom Beast, a champion of The Red.
Protecting his homeland from threats against life, Dominic has engaged the Sportsman's Ambition and began hunting them down. The illegal hunt club had synthesized the process that gives Dominic his powers but without the helm they are unable to complete the process and thus they create scared, harmful and confused beasts. Dominic began to stop their advance in his home and was forced to follow them to Rochester, New York, in order to take back his formula. Assisted by Midnighter, Dominic was able to free the captured animals, retrieve his formula and leave the organization's leader to fate which resulted in the half man/half fly being eaten by a bat. Once successful, Dominic headed home with the animals and left Midnighter to his business.
Powers and Abilities
- Beast Helm
- Dominic Mndawe was created by Grant Morrison and Chaz Truog, first appearing in Animal Man #13. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Dominic Mndawe first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Midnighter (Volume 2) #8 by Steve Orlando and David Messina.
- 3 Appearances of Dominic Mndawe (Prime Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Dominic Mndawe (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Dominic Mndawe (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Dominic Mndawe (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.