Donald "Dan" Richards was a hero under the name Manhunter.
In Empire City, Dan attended police academy with the brother of his girlfriend Kit, James Kelly. Jim came on top of the class, but Dan at the bottom. He had high marks during the years, but tanked his exams because he was busy cataloguing all the country's criminals and their characteristics.
Jim was framed for the murder of shady politician Al Armand, who had asked him to kill a rival. The rival showed up and killed Armand instead. With his database, Dan realized the murderer was Johnny Cosentino. He donned a costume he had been preparing, caught the perpetrator and cleared Jim's name.
Afterwards, he continued to operate as Manhunter.
- In 1956, DC Comics obtained the rights to the Quality Comics characters, and re-introduced them 17 years later as the Freedom Fighters in Justice League of America #107 (October 1973).
- The Freedom Fighters were relocated to a parallel world, one called "Earth-X", where Nazi Germany had won World War II. The team was featured in its own series for 15 issues (1976–1978), in which it temporarily left Earth-X for "Earth-One" (where most DC titles are set).
- In 1981, some Quality Characters became recurring guest-stars of All-Star Squadron, a superhero-team title set on "Earth-Two", the locale for DC's WWII-era superheroes, and at a time prior to when the Freedom Fighters were supposed to have left for Earth-X. They later appeared with the rest of DC's superheroes in Crisis on Infinite Earths, a story that was intended to eliminate the confusing histories that DC had attached to its characters by retroactively merging the various parallel worlds into one. The Freedom Fighters became a mere splinter group of the All-Star Squadron.
- 94 Appearances of Donald Richards (Quality Universe)
- 3 Images featuring Donald Richards (Quality Universe)
- 3 Quotations by or about Donald Richards (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: Donald Richards (Quality Universe)