Super-Man was an agent of the American government with far greater ambitions.
Zod inhabited his universe's version of Krypton, a planet which approximated the human idea of utopia. However, Zod began showing psychopathic tendencies - while just a child, he released a virus that killed dozens. Given the severity of his actions, and the lack of any remorse, he was sentenced to the Phantom Zone - the first child on Krypton to merit such treatment.
On Earth, during the 1940s, the American government received word that the Nazis were working on teleportation research. Eager to get ahead, they attempted their own project. Unfortunately, the equipment overheated, producing no portal, but plucking the boy Zod out of the Phantom Zone. Feigning amnesia, Zod was given to a Kansas family and raised, as "Clark Kent", with Army supervision. When he developed his superpowers, he kept their full extent secret.
As Earth had a number of superhuman espionage agents already, Zod was trained for this role. Under the codename 'Super-Man', he was sent into Eastern Europe with the Bat and the Clock. He fought Parasite and Steelwolf, while investigating his sole weakness: a nuclear device the Russians had created. Finding his information, he incapacitated or killed several agents and headed into Russia to destroy the device. However, he was ultimately killed before he could finish the job.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Zod possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Zod's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Zod can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Zod's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Zod's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Zod can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Zods can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Zod can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Zod is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Zod is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Zod is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Zod's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Zod is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Zod is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Zod can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Espionage: Zod posessed limited training in spycraft.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Zod possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Note: Vulnerable to kryptonite is assumed in the event of his universe's version of Krypton exploded.
- 3 Appearances of Dru-Zod (Earth-40)
- 1 Images featuring Dru-Zod (Earth-40)
- Quotations by or about Dru-Zod (Earth-40)
- Character Gallery: Dru-Zod (Earth-40)
Superman Family member