Earth-383 was a negative world, where all humans (and other beings) were negatives (as opposed to Earth-One and most other known alternate worlds, which are positive worlds).
If a being from a positive world visited Earth-383, the Earth-383 natives will not be able to perceive that being at all -- the natives could not see, hear, touch, smell or even telepathically sense the positive visitor. The visitor could, however, interact with inanimate objects. Also, if the visitor had a native counterpart on Earth-383, the negative native would blink out of existence while the positive visitor was present, and would reappear when the positive visitor left.
Furthermore, Earth-383 had a strange connection with Earth-One. If a being on the positive Earth-One died, their negative counterpart on Earth-383 became positive, and (like a positive visitor) was not able to be perceived by the negative inhabitants. However, they were now able to perceive other positive beings (both natives and visitors) and had a parallel positive society, existing unseen alongside the negative civilization. Furthermore, positive beings seemed to be immune to disease and aging -- Earth-383's Abraham Lincoln, Isaac Newton and Joan of Arc all became positive when their Earth-One counterparts died, and were all still alive in the modern era.
- The parallel universe was unnamed in the story, but identified as Earth-383 in Absolute Crisis on Infinite Earths.
- The above explanation (in History) of how Earth-383 worked was formulated by Supergirl when she was accidentally thrust into Earth-383 by an explosion, and may not be 100% correct. It is certainly not complete -- there are unanswered questions, including:
- Could the negative inhabitants die of natural causes, or did they only "die" by becoming positive when their Earth-One counterpart died?
- Could the positive inhabitants die at all?
- Did anything happen to Earth-One inhabitants when their Earth-383 counterpart died?
- Characters from Earth-383
- Other things related to Earth-383
- Earth-383's Comic Appearances
- Reality Gallery: Earth-383
Links and References