Colonel Edmond Hamilton was a NASA scientist who, after being accidentally electrocuted when he spilled coffee on a control console, began having precognitive flashes of the future-but only when his life was imperiled! Seeing an image of Earth being destroyed by a solar flare in two weeks' time, Hamilton used his scientific genius to create the costume and equipment of Colonel Future and began stealing scientific components in order to divert the flare since he believed no-one would listen if he told them it was coming. Unfortunately, the flare was actually caused by Superman to destroy a rogue asteroid and Future's well meaning interference almost resulted in the destruction of the planet until Superman averted the threat and gave Future a lecture in responsible use of his great powers.
- Precognition: Colonel Future can see flashes of future events but cannot always accurately interpret them.
- Power Limitation: Colonel Future's powers only kick in when he is in danger of death, necessitating him to build a death trap in his home where he can endanger his life under controlled conditions in order to see the future.
- Heart: In his last appearance Colonel Future suffered a heart attack.
- This version of Colonel Future, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Named for science fiction writer Edmond Hamilton who wrote the Captain Future stories in the 1940s.
- 3 Appearances of Edmond Hamilton (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Edmond Hamilton (Earth-One)
- 2 Quotations by or about Edmond Hamilton (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Edmond Hamilton (Earth-One)