The Rival was a pawn of Alchemy.
After the Flash went back in time to save his mother from being murdered by the Reverse Flash, the mainstream timeline changed as a result. In this new "Flashpoint" timeline, Edward Clariss became the villainous speedster the Rival and combated the Flash of that timeline.
However, after trying to undo his action, the Flash reset the timeline yet again, causing Clariss to never become the Rival. However, after being contacted by a man only known as Alchemy, Clariss is reminded of his alternate reality self and regifted his super speed.
Once again becoming the Rival, Clariss challenged the Flash, blaming him for almost ruining his life by erasing the timeline. The Rival was later defeated and sent to Iron Heights where Savitar killed him in his cell. 
- Speed Force Conduit: Speed force conduits possess a connection to the Speed Force, a cosmic force that allows its users to push the boundaries that keep time and space. As a conduit of the Speed Force, all aspects of their physiology are accelerated and enhanced.
- Accelerated Healing: By having a connection to the speed force, every speed force conduit has an incredibly fast healing factor and can heal from most injuries in seconds and devastating injuries in minutes.
- Enhanced Senses: The Speed Force enhances the speedster's senses, allowing them to perceive and process thoughts faster than the normal person.
- Phasing: Speed Force conduits can tap into the Speed Force to vibrate their molecules in a way to achieve intangibility for short bursts, allowing them to phase through objects.
- Speed Force Aura: The Speed Force manifests an aura around the speedster and whatever they are carrying, protecting them from adverse effects of their speed, such as friction with the air.
- Superhuman Stamina: The Speed Force grants its conduits with a great increase of stamina, allowing them to fight or run much longer than the average person. Although a great increase, it is not unlimited.
- Superhuman Speed: The universal factor of being a Speed Force conduit grants its user with imperceptible amounts of speed. All powers that conduits possess derives from their speed.. This also confers:
- Superhuman Agility: The speedster's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows them to easily maneuver while moving at superhuman speed.
- Superhuman Reflexes: In conjunction with their enhanced senses, The speedster's reflexes are heightened immesurably, allowing them to dodge or react faster than normal.
- Vortex Creations: Speed Force conduits are able to create vortices of air by running in circles or rotating their extremities at super-speed. These vortices can be used for a number of effects.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series The Flash and is an adaptation of Edward Clariss/The Rival. The original character was created by John Broome and Joe Kubert and first appeared in Flash Comics #104.
- The Rival was portrayed by Todd Lasance.
- 5 Appearances of Edward Clariss (Arrowverse)
- 1 Images featuring Edward Clariss (Arrowverse)
- 1 Quotations by or about Edward Clariss (Arrowverse)
- Character Gallery: Edward Clariss (Arrowverse)
- The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Flashpoint
- The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Paradox
- The Flash (2014 TV Series) Episode: Magenta
- Being a speed force conduit conveys some core powers as demonstrated by Barry Allen and Wally West.
- The Flash (Volume 5) #73
- The Flash (Volume 2) #1
- The Flash (Volume 2) #76
- The Flash (Volume 2) #63
- The Flash (Volume 2) #2
- The Flash (Volume 2) #74