Edward Raymond is the father of Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond).
Distinguished investigative journalist Edward Rockwell proved quintessential in bringing the notorious "Shine" family to justice. Federal prosecutor Wallace Hapgood placed Rockwell on the stand, where he provided crucial testimony sending the gang leader, "Shoe" Shine to prison.
On the day "Shoe" began serving his sentence a car-bomb exploded in Rockwell's vehicle killing his wife, Elaine. The Justice Department provided Ed with a new identity and placed him in the witness relocation program. Changing his surname to Raymond, Ed and his son, Ronnie, led a quiet secluded life.
Fifteen years later however, Raymond decided that it was safe to return to New York. He contacted Wallace Hapgood, who was now working as the principal of Bradley High School. Hapgood promised Ed to keep an eye on Ronnie and to keep him abreast if anyone should cause trouble for him.
Ed Raymond began working for New York News Express. His career consumed him and began to affect the relationship he maintained with his son. Ronnie tried to communicate with his father on numerous occasions, but Ed continuously dismissed him.
Eventually, "Shoe" Shine was released from prison and he reunited with his family, "Ma" and "Spit". He began conspiring to get revenge upon both Wallace Hapgood and Ed Raymond. His initial efforts were disrupted due to the unforeseen intervention of the Hyena.
Some time later, he learned Ed Rockwell's new identity and street address. He sent one of his henchmen to the Raymond home to plant a bomb, but the explosive detonated prematurely killing the thug. Hapgood contacted Raymond and the two decided to lay low, allowing "Shoe" Shine to believe he had successfully killed Raymond. A few weeks later, "Shoe" Shine was killed in a gunfight with a rival gangster, and Raymond was able to safely come back out into the open. With the threat of the Shine family firmly behind them, Ed and his son committed themselves to improving their relationship.
Powers and Abilities
- Journalism: Ed Raymond is proficient in the areas of investigation journalism.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 45 Appearances of Edward Rockwell (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Edward Rockwell (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Edward Rockwell (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Edward Rockwell (New Earth)