El Papagayo was the leader an infamous gang of bandits in 19th century Mexico who undertook such major crimes as looting banks and army posts. His name means "the parrot" in Spanish, and he always carries his parrot, Pepito, with him. El Papagayo grew up from a family that collect and train parrots which they would later sell to the rich in Mexico and Americans. One day, El Papagayo's family were murdered by Woodson Hex and his gang after refusing to being extorted by Hex. El Papagayo survived the massacre and vowed to take revenge on Woodson Hex and his family.
El Papagayo first met his nemesis, bounty hunter Jonah Hex, when Hex was hired to infiltrate El Papagayo's gang and learn his plans. Hex believed that he was hired by the U.S. Secret Service, but in reality he had been set up by his old enemy Quentin Turnbull. Hex failed to apprehend El Papagayo when the bandit discovered that the guns Hex had sold him had no firing pins, and El Papagayo and Jonah Hex clashed repeatedly thereafter.
El Papagayo ultimately meet his end at the hands of Jonah Hex when he attempted to finish off his nemesis in Heaven's Gate.
- Colt Revolver: Twin Colt revolvers
- Cavalry Sabre: Mexican military sabre
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- El Papagayo is usually accompanied by a pet parrot named Pepito.
- 16 Appearances of El Papagayo (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring El Papagayo (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about El Papagayo (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: El Papagayo (New Earth)
- El Papagayo at dccomics.com
- El Papagayo at Wikipedia.org
- El Papagayo profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe VII