"Europe '92 (Part II of IV)The Sounds of Silence": Bito Wladon – Archduke of Modora invites the Elongated Man and Sue Dibny on a tour of his country. Not trusting the archduke, Ralph reluctantly agrees – if
- What is it, Ralph? You don't have the nerve to kill me, so you're going to embarrass me into suicide?
- -- Sue Dibny
Appearing in "Europe '92 (Part II of IV)
The Sounds of Silence"
- Flash (Wally West) (Cameo)
- Bradford Smolz
- Szandor (Sonar's servant) (First appearance)
- Gianna Schicchi (Trampolina's aide) (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Europe '92 (Part II of IV)
The Sounds of Silence"
Bito Wladon – Archduke of Modora invites the Elongated Man and Sue Dibny on a tour of his country. Not trusting the archduke, Ralph reluctantly agrees – if only to keep an eye on Sue. Bito continues to flirt with Sue, and Ralph's jealousy and anger continues to grow. He eventually learns that Bito is actually a super-villain known as Sonar. He plans to corner Bito with this knowledge, but before he gets the chance, the Archduke voluntarily tells him that Sonar is another man entirely, though he is a former citizen of Modora.
Meanwhile in Rome, a costumed lunatic calling himself Il Calamari begins attacking the Tariff Conference. The Elongated Man learns of the attack on a newsreel and begins packing his bags for Italy. He tries to get Sue to come with him, but she refuses to attend citing that she would prefer to stay in Modora. The two get into another fight and Ralph leaves.
In Rome, Ralph meets with members of the Pan-European Economic Conference, and gets into another scuffle with Warp and Copperhead. Il Calamari joins the fight and together they nearly defeat the Elongated Man until the timely arrival of yet another super-powered individual. The combatants look upwards in shock and Ralph screams, "You!"
- Although it is not obvious from the final scene, the individual who interrupts the fight at the end of the issue is the Flash. The Flash appeared last in The Flash (Volume 2) #60.
- Sonar is traditionally a foe of Green Lantern (Hal Jordan).
- The subtitle to this issue The Sounds of Silence is taken from the name of a famous 1960s song by Simon and Garfunkel.
- Ralph compares Sue and himself to Nick and Nora Charles. Nick and Nora Charles are the husband and wife detective team depicted in the Dashiell Hammett novel, The Thin Man. The creation of Ralph and Sue were loosely based on these two characters.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Elongated Man Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Elongated Man series
- Images from Elongated Man Vol 1 2
- Elongated Man Recommended Reading