The origins of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark remain unclear, but she appears to be a genuinely supernatural entity. She was made temporary caretaker of the House of Mystery (by the House itself, apparently) in the absence of Cain, and was tasked with finding him, though she seemed not to consider this a matter of urgency. Her whereabouts since Cain resumed his tenancy of the House are unknown.
- Elvira is a character adapted from other works including TV shows and movies. She is played by actress Cassandra Peterson. Elvira was the main character in the 1988 film Elvira, Mistress of the Dark and the 2001 film Elvira's Haunted Hills.
- A comic book adaptation of the 1988 feature film Elvira, Mistress of the Dark was released by Marvel Comics. Elvira was the main character in an ongoing monthly comic published by Eclipse/Claypool Comics from 1993-2007. A new Elvira comic began publication in 2018 by Dynamite Entertainment. In addition to ongoing monthly title, a Halloween 1-shot and a 4-issue limited series were also announced.
- 14 Appearances of Elvira (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Elvira (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Elvira (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Elvira (New Earth)