At college, Adam Blake (Captain Comet) meets a science professor named Emery Zackro. Zackro is a scientific genius who has secretly developed the world's first one-man space rocket. He tests Adam's talents at length and deduces that Adam is a mutant, born with physical and mental capabilities 100,000 years ahead of his time. He offers Adam a position as an assistant working in the science hall.
One evening, enemy agents, who had learned of Zackro's work, break into the science hall in an effort to steal the solar reducer technology. Adam fights with the men and uses his telekinetic abilities to deflect the bullets fired from their guns. Zackro eventually returns to the lab, and realizes that he must forever safeguard Adam's talents from the world, lest unscrupulous enterprising men should attempt to exploit him for their own ends.
In 1951, a global catastrophe takes place, forcing Adam to reveal himself to the public. A space-faring alien race known as the Astur had traveled to Earth in the hopes of terra-forming the planet, making it inhabitable for their kind. To this end, they send several large spinning tops to the planet's surface. The Astur cannot survive in an oxygen-rich environment, and the tops labor to siphon away the planet's oxygen.
Calling himself Captain Comet for the first time, Adam dons a space suit and oxygen tank and intercepts one of the tops. He rips into the side of it and discovers that the machines are operated via remote control. He borrows Professor Zackro's spaceship, the Cometeer, and travels to the far side of Earth's moon where he discovers the Astur mother ship.
Already advanced in age when Captain Comet left the Earth, Zackro dies in his absence, perhaps of natural causes.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 9 Appearances of Emery Zackro (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Emery Zackro (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Emery Zackro (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Emery Zackro (New Earth)