Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Joining the Justice League
Gaining her powers under undisclosed circumstances, Element Woman was active to some degree as a superhero. She became active enough that she was registered on "the grid", the computer system that Cyborg created to keep track of interesting news in the world. When the Justice League looked set to be defeated during the brief war between America and Atlantis, Cyborg recruited a group of metahumans whose talents would be useful, Element Woman among them. In the subsequent meeting, the original team agreed that they had no members comparable to Element Woman, and asked her to join them, alongside Firestorm and Atom.
Main article: Trinity War
Throughout the Trinity War fight, Element Woman tried to be a peacemaker, but found herself drawn into fighting nevertheless. She was present for the final showdown in the Parthenon, where she helped remove the kryptonite that was killing Superman, before being ambushed along with the other heroes by the Outsider.
Main article: Forever Evil
Element Woman spent almost all of the Crime Syndicate's invasion trapped in a prison made from the Firestorm Matrix, being tortured by her own subconscious. She was freed at the very end, alongside all the other heroes, but the ordeal left her scarred. Worse, her powers interacted strangely with Firestorm's, teleporting her an unknown distance away.
Distraught and confused, Element Woman considered herself superfluous. This feeling was exacerbated when her Justice League comrades did not come looking for her. She was found at this time by Niles Caulder, the demagogue leader of the Doom Patrol, who argued that she belonged with his team, as her monstrous nature meant no-one else could love her.
Powers and Abilities
- Element Woman was created by Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, and Andy Kubert, first appearing in Flashpoint (Volume 2) #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Element Woman first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League (Volume 2) #16 by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis.
- Original notes by Geoff Johns about the character states that her "breath smells like chalk, transmutes body into any element or compound, colorful exterior and smile hides sadness, closer talker and socially awkward."
- 28 Appearances of Emily Sung (Prime Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Emily Sung (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Emily Sung (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Emily Sung (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Doom Patrol member